Sunday, March 10, 2019

Germantown Half Marathon

Today I completed a local race that has been on my bucket list for close to ten year. Yes, TEN YEARS. It's the Germantown Half Marathon. Let me explain.

This race has been on my bucket list because it is local, is known to have a great medal, and it winds through lovely Germantown, Tennessee. It's just under a half hour from my home, and the town is older (i.e. the homes have character). Germantown is a most lovely place!

It has taken me so long to check it off my bucket list because for many years I was always training for something else. In hindsight, I have no idea why I didn't find a way to use it as a training run for a marathon, like I did today. Oh well... live and learn!

The elephant in the room is the fact that on January 24th, my right hip started giving me fits. I was previously holding steadfast with a Galloway Customized Training Plan for my "comeback" marathon, the Derby Festival Marathon. Everything was going swimmingly since I have lost roughly 70 pounds. Running is a whole lot easier when you're lighter on your feet! I felt unstoppable. Then... BAM. No dice.

After a lot of frustration and borderline depression, I had to seek the help of a different medical professional. I am not one for change, and I am fiercely loyal. However, if what you've always done is not working, change is in order. Just one week ago I literally could only make it 1.5 miles without a shooting pain that would end the run. One. Week. Ago. I have only been to see my new doc twice now and, as you can see, I conservatively ran 13.1 miles today. Boom.

The race tale begins yesterday when Isaac and I drove to the Germantown Athletic Club to pick up my race goodies. While I am sure I read it on the race website months ago, I was shocked to realize that I would get a sweatshirt for signing up. A sweatshirt! I have never received one before. Mighty nice!

 I love the simplicity of it. I love the green.

Last night was a doozy. It has been over three years since I have competed in a race of this length. While my training for my comeback full had gotten me up to 17 miles before Hipmageddon 2019 happened, there is a big difference between starting a training run from your house vs. having to get up early and drive somewhere. There was no room for error. PLUS, today marks Daylight Saving Time. I'd have to get up super early, and I had a fear that my phone/alarm wouldn't update, etc. My sweet friend Maddy in Florida offered to text me to make sure I was up. That's a friend! My hubby also set his alarm. 

I laid out everything, as you can imagine. This morning was a breeze. I ate, showered, packed up, and drove to Germantown in the dark. It only took 21 minutes since there was very little traffic. Score! When I got to the athletic club, I used the restroom, spoke to a couple of friends, and got ready.

Here I am before the race. 

Because of my hip and my lack of a crystal ball, I aimed to run this one extremely conservatively. On Tuesday I was able to cover five miles, and I could definitely feel it. My strategy today was, frankly, to see how far I could get WITHOUT pushing too hard.

Let's talk about the emotional element of this race. I'm not a touchy feely, let's-talk-about-our-feelings kind of person, but this deserves to be said. Since 2014 I had been gaining weight and had morphed into a completely sedentary, miserable person. There was a huge chunk of time when I thought I would never be at the start of a distance race again. Never. So, I tried to soak in every second of the pre-race excitement this morning. I was BACK, baby!!!

The course went through some really lovely areas. I ran past schools, gorgeous homes, churches, a country club, a golf course, and through a park. There was a lot of shade, too, and not too many hills. I picked a humdinger!

I told Chasen days ago to wait and see if I made it to mile 8 or 9 before even thinking of coming up there. I just did not know how the day would unfold. Once I got started today, I thought to myself, "You're going to make this happen. Just go slow." I had no idea Chasen (and others!) would be tracking me online. He texted me after I crossed the 5k mat and even had Isaac send me a "Go Mommy go!" voice text. Talk about melting my butter!

Could I could feel my hip? Oh yes I could! I learned that it was something I was just going to have to live with today, and if I kept it steady, it didn't get any worse. Mental toughness was key today!

I texted Chasen and told him to not leave our house until I hit mile 10. That would put him there by mile 12 or so, and there would be absolutely no hurry or too much waiting. Sure enough, my plan worked!

This was truly a happy event for me. I enjoyed every second out there. I was proud to simply be there. It meant so much to me! I was almost sad to see it end. I hardly ever say that!

Chasen let me know that he and Isaac would be at the last corner before the finish line, and Isa would be at the finish line. How lucky am I?!?!

These lookers cheered me on!  

Isaac ran with me for a little ways. I thought he might want to cross the finish line with me like he used to do when he was little, but I guess he is too big for that now. Oh well. Isa was smack dab in the middle of the finish line taking pictures. Bless her soul! I crossed the finish mat, got my gorgeous medal, and then the most incredible thing happened. She told me that I was so strong and tough, and she didn't think she could ever do this. I told her that she could absolutely do this! If I can, she certainly can. As far as I can tell, she has two good hips, the fit body of a 16-year-old, and nothing stopping her but her MIND. That's the truth.

 She snapped this photo of me. I love it.

After the race I put on my flip flops, got my purse, and we all headed to the Germantown Commissary for some barbecue and pie. No dieting today! We had a great time together as a family. These are the days I'll never forget. 

Here is my awesome medal and race bib.

This race made me super excited for what is to come. I am going to stay on my healthy plan, keep on rehabbing the hip, and move ahead with marathon training. You can't ask for much more than that!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Once a runner, always a runner! Great job on the race. Good things are on the horizon!