Saturday, May 25, 2019

Great American River Run Half Marathon

I didn't know this race existed until about a month ago. I received an email about it from a local running store. When I saw the cool orange t-shirt and the medal, I knew I had to do it! It's a part of the Memphis In May International Festival. Anyone who knows anything about Memphis knows that Memphis In May is a HUGE deal. Even though I knew it would be brutally hot, I knew I just HAD to do the 2019 #MIMGARR Half Marathon. Chasen opted to do the 2019 #MIMGARR 5k. It would start just thirty minutes after my half.

Yesterday I ventured down to the historic Peabody Hotel to the race expo. It's an easy drive for me. Even though it was wicked hot outside, the Peabody garage is nicely appointed with an air conditioned walkway into the main building. Score! I made my way to the hall and picked up our goods.

 It was a rather small expo, but not the smallest I have seen.

I was in and out in a flash. It took less than thirty minutes, and I got free parking. Double score!

Chasen and I left our home just past 6 AM this morning. Phew. That's highly unusual for us. We found street parking and headed to the Mississippi River. I thought we had oodles of time. 

 Here are other runners ambling to the start. They must be 5k'ers.

After a quick visit to the port-o-potty, I noticed that it was 6:57 AM. My half was to start at 7 AM. I could neither see nor hear the start line. Oh no! I started walking much faster until I heard the start line hoopla. When I arrived the race had started by two minutes thirty seconds. Oh well... nothing I could do about it at that point.

This course went through so many noteworthy parts of downtown Memphis. The first little bit went through historic Beale Street. You can NOT visit Memphis without at least driving by Beale Street. 

 Home of the Blues

From very early on we were offered wet towels. We received a weather advisory via email yesterday. I knew it would be brutal, so I altered my race strategy from "give em hell" to "let's not die today." Just keeping it real! 

 Here is a shot of downtown from afar. 

After I got out of downtown a bit, I discovered what possibly very few people know: where all of the downtown carriage horses reside. There was a least a solid mile of odoriferous reminder of livestock. At one water stop I asked a lady, "When does the manure smell end?" I was serious. Phew. At that same water stop, a lady had a baggie of pills. I thought they might be salt tablets, but what she offered me was ibuprofen. I found that odd. I declined. 

 Har dee har har!

 I certainly do! LOL

After the miles of manure I was routed to beautiful Harbor Town. It's a lovely, well kept part of Memphis right along the Mississippi River, just south of downtown. I've heard people say that they live in Harbor Town so that they can be in Memphis without having to be IN Memphis. So be it!

 That's the I-40 bridge you see in the distance.

Just part a water stop manned by the Hash House Harriers, which was the BEST stop because they had a cooling fan, I had to go up the A. W. Willis Avenue bridge. I caught a look at it and made a horrible face. One Harrier said, "Oh, you got this!" Bless him.

 It's as bad as it looks, but I made it up and down.

By this point I was at mile 11. This was when I was to call Chasen, who went home to get a well-deserved shower after smokin' his 5k. Oh how I envied him! It was very much a "one foot in front of the other" day for me. The temperature continued to rise. The sun is not my friend. 

 The 5k'ers were long gone by the time I got to this sign. It made me smile.

Shortly thereafter I was routed directly to the riverside. I still could not see the finish line, but I knew it was coming. Lots of people were going the opposite direction with their awesome medals. I could.not.wait.to.be.done. Have I mentioned how hot it was?

Finally, it was my turn to cross the finish line. The announcer called my name and city. It has been a while since I have heard that! Boy was I relieved. I was handed my medal and an ice cold bottle of water. PTL!

I called Chasen, and he and Isaac were soon in my sight. It was so good to see them! He took several pictures of me. This is, of course, my favorite.

 That's my fella and I! I want to make him proud.

Wouldn't you know we had to walk UPHILL to the car? Phew. Yes, after 13.1 hotttttt miles. Oh well, I'm tough. Ha! Chasen had me some necessary post-race goodies waiting in the car: a big ole pickle, a bottle of water, and a Coke Zero. That man knows what I like! 

 I got in the car like Fred Sanford. I ate my pickle like a champ, though.

We picked up some lunch on the way home. I told him that once I got home, I wanted to shower, nap, and watch TV. Basically, I did not want to leave my air-conditioned bedroom all day. I pretty much stuck to it! 

 How 'bout that cool orange shirt?!?!

 This medal was sooooo sorth it!


What a beauty! 

Am I going to do this race again next year? N-O. It was far too hot. I have another hot one coming up next week, and I am really adjusting my goal and strategy. The heat is NO JOKE, and safety is the #1 thing. It was a great course with lots of historic places along the way with excellent swag, and I am glad I made it through. But, my racing season ends in one week, and I am NOT sad about it. This is why most people train for fall and winter races, especially us Southerners. 

Stay tuned for the next one! 

No comments: