Friday, August 18, 2006

Run #3 - Beyond The Unexpected

TGIF! Since I skipped my run on Wednesday, I decided to make it up today, in lieu of cross training. I only hit the snooze only once. 4-mile easy run, here I come.

I can't describe this morning as "cool," like yesterday, but it was nice. I set out in the opposite direction as yesterday. I aspired to run by the childhood home of an old friend I recently reconnected with, Lori. As luck would have it, two houses past hers was the 2-mile mark. As... um... un-luck would have it, the route seemed to be all uphill, but fairly gradually so. I made it without stopping or walking. Running is so very mental for me. I know I can do it, but sometimes I forget. Today my memory was on target!

Heading home, I decided to come back on a slightly different path. Being that it was later in the morning, there was more traffic. This path was to be the same distance, yet considerably car-free. WELL... it seemed to be the hillyest run of my life! I pushed myself to run HARD up them all. I'm feeling very accomplsihed right now!

Overall, the run was much more challenging that I anticipated. I wouldn't exactly describe it as an "easy" run, but the overall theme was an easy-going Friday attitude. That counts! It even ended up being 4.5 miles. I almost kept on running to go ahead and do my 7-mile long run that I will do tomorrow, but I didn't want to be late for work. My boss would understand, but I need that long run tomorrow. Long runs are the highlight of my running life.

No comments: