Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Run #9 - Tired Tempo, Strength Training at the Gym

Don't you just hate it when you wake up a few minutes before the alarm? Today my dog woke me FOUR MINUTES before my alarm. That's just cruel!

I'm almost done reading "Marathoning For Mortals," and I have really taken most of the information to heart. As such, I decided to do my 2.5 mile tempo run at the gym, so that I could get in some strength training beforehand. Today I did 2 leg machines (different ones from Monday), 2 upper body machines (ditto on the different), and a much more difficult version of crunches - the kind where you suspend from your elbows/forearms and lift your legs up. Ouch! I did 30 (10 regular, 10 left-twists and 10 right-twists).

On to the treadmill! My how the times have changed. I used to much prefer the treadmill to running out in the real world. Not anymore! Now, as of today, I find it to be so very boring. Ugh. I cut my run short (only 2.25 miles). I just didn't have the desire to keep going. I would have never cut a street run short... especially since I'd typically do an "out and back" for such a short distance. Oh well - lesson learned.

Five more weeks until the half-marathon! It seems right around the corner, yet far away both at the same time. I still have to plot my course for that. Later on today I'll post my feelings about running the virtual half-marathon all alone.

No comments: