Monday, August 28, 2006

Run #8 - Velocity, Strength Training at the Gym

How did Monday get here so fast? Yesterday was my rest day, and I certainly enjoyed it. I spent a lot of time reading "Marathoning For Mortals" by John Bingham and Jenny Hadfield. On the subject of cross training, they say to incorporate your strength training into the days where you only have to run for a short time/distance. This morning I was to do a 1.5 mile velocity run, i.e. one that simulates a race... so I had to boogie! I decided to do it on the treadmill at the gym so I could do the strength training there. Both were accomplished. I did the weights first so I'd be "warm" for my run. I did 2 arm machines plus two arm free-weight exercises. I also did two leg machines and 30 crunches (yesterday I did 90 crunches at home). Normally at the gym I do either/or, so more strength exercises are usually accomplished. But, I must admit, I like the fast strength, fast run routine -- the total workout.

No comments: