Monday, September 18, 2006

Raining Cats and Dogs, Exhausted


Yesterday, my rest day, turned out to be very rainy towards the end of the afternoon. It was the perfect day to catch up on sleep. I wondered if the rain would carry on through the night.

All of my early afternoon napping caught up with me last night. I couldn't go to sleep until after 1 AM (my alarm was set for 6 AM). Needless to say, when the alarm went off there was no getting up for me. Plus, it was still all wet outside. I thought if there was ever a time to miss/postpone a 1.5 mile Velocity run, today was that time.

I know I said that I wouldn't do any more night running... but I just might do it tonight. I know that I could do a quick 1.5 mile run before it gets dark. But we shall see. If it's raining, I'll just skip the run. I'd still feel guilty!

This weekend I am supposed to do an 11 mile longrun. This weekend I am going to be in Arlington, Texas for a professional licensing three-day course. I have to leave on Friday morning. So, I think the wise thing would be for me to do the longrun before I go (early Friday morning) to avoid running in unknown territory. I can do the run, shower, and still be on the road by 10 AM or so. That will require some shuffling around of this week's runs, but I think I'd be better off aiming to do a 4.5 mile easy run from the hotel on Sunday morning vs. an 11 mile run on Saturday morning. I do need to be rested for the weekend course!

I am thinking of rescheduling my running of the WorldWide Half Marathon. It will be impossible for me to run it on the official weekend, as I have stated before. My solution was to run it the weekend after (October 14th). After some thinking, it occured to me that I could run it on the weekend before, but on Sunday (October 1st). I'm leaning towards October 1st for the sole reason of being able to achieve my goal ASAP. However, that begs the question of the distance of my final pre-race longrun, which would be this weekend, i.e. the 11 mile run. Should I run 11 or go ahead and run 12 miles (the training schedule's final longrun distance)? I am in a quandry.

Also, if I did it on October 1st, I would have four full weeks "off" before I begin full-marathon training. WHAT TO DO? Please send your comments. Thanks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go for the FIRST of October!

My Chicago Half (which I am dreading as I am not anywhere near as prepared as you) is 10/1/2006 -- I think it would be really great if my VTP and I were racing together, even if miles and miles apart...

Having a full month to "recuperate" physically and MENTALLY before marathon training begins sounds like a good idea, especially with all you've got going on. You can take that month and run when/how you want or exercise however you please!