Friday, September 22, 2006

Run #22 - A Horrible Longrun

I'll get right to the point. My last longrun before the WWH was awful. I got on the road a bit after 7 AM. It had been raining through the night and, as a result, it was very humid this morning. I was totally on pace, though. I contemplated making it only a six mile run, but I thought of my success thus far with this training program and decided that I had it in me to achieve my goal today. Plus, just yesterday my boss said he admired my "stick-to-it-ive-ness" for the second time (and neither time had anything to do with running). I was determined to do it. I had one third of my Pria Double Chocolate Cookie at mile 4. It tasted good. I was cruising.

I got to the halfway point (5.75 miles) right on pace and took an extended walking break (Garmin off). I went ahead and finished the bar. I got back to it and was doing well. Somewhere around mile 7, though, I really started dragging. I was spent... zonked... pooped... fatigued - call it what you will - I didn't have much left in me. I began walking a LOT more than normal. I contemplated walking all the way home. But I made myself run more. And, for the first time since my first half marathon last year, EVERYTHING from the waist down hurt - every inch of my legs.

When I got home my Garmin only registered 11.35 miles, even though I did precisely the same route in as out. Oh well. Maybe all of the walking threw it for a loop. My total time was 2:27:55 and the average pace was 13:02. Now I have to shower, dig out my Aspercreme, then get on the road to Arlington, Texas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

now it is time to TAPER so that your body can recover! Let your mind do all the work this weekend at your class -- good luck with that! Stretch, stretch, stretch!