Thursday, November 23, 2006

LRM TR #15, Thanksgiving Trot

LRM Miles Training To Date: 66

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!! In honor of the turkey calories to be consumed later on, I decided I was well enough to go for my run today. Now that I am home and it is said and done, I'm glad I did it. But it was really not that enjoyable. I don't know if it was because it was speedwork (and I'm no speed demon) or if it was because I am still puny, but it was not easy. Here's what went down.

I did my 1/4 mile warm-up walk to my usual starting point. From there I did a half mile slow run eastward. Once I completed the half mile run, I started the Garmin and kicked into high gear. I thought "How will I run this fast for three whole miles?" With some difficulty I did the first mile continuously. As I finished it, my puny belly was tired of sloshing around, so I decided to turn off the Garmin and walk a bit (against speedwork rules, I believe). Well, to my SHOCK I had completed that mile in 9:20. HOLY COW! I don't think I have ever ran a mile that fast! That kind of gave me some encouragement. I started up the Garmin again and took off. This time I made it about a half mile before I felt the need to walk (puny, puny, puny). I finished mile 2 in 9:58. Wow! I was aiming for 10:00 - 10:30 per mile, per my training plan. At this point I was turning around towards home and thinking to myself "Just push out one more mile and you'll be done." Well, I tried, but I had to stop again at about the halfway point. I don't know if it's the accelerated heartrate or what (probably the punyness) but it was just so difficult for me. I did mile 3 in 10:18. My total time was 29:37. I wish it had been a continuous run, and I wish it has been a 5K! I walked a bit after mile 3, then I did a slow run home before doing my quarter mile cooldown home.

Now I have to let myself settle so I can hopefully enjoy some Thanksgiving fixins' later!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there speed demon - have a great holiday!