Saturday, December 16, 2006

LRM TR #26, Equipment Overload


LRM Miles Trained To Date: 153

Oh what a morning! I had a social/philanthropic commitment at 10:30 AM, so that meant that I had to run 14 miles, shower, get ready and be somewhere by 10:30 -- so I rose at 5 AM to get the ball rolling.

Last night my husband gave me an early Christmas present - Nike Odeon sunglasses! He is now Mr. Nike, as you can tell by his generosity. They are super cool. They wrap around my eyes so as to prevent ANY sun, and they do a good job keeping out the wind, also. THANKS!!!

It was 52 degrees when I started. Before I even left the house, though, I realized that I just had too much stuff on me. I had:
an 18 oz. water bottle
my iPod
Lemon/Lime Sports Beans (which worked great! Thanks to Matt of The Dump Runners Club!)
a tiny printed map of my course
my house key
my Garmin
my cel phone
my new sunglasses

I had stuff in every pocket! The cel phone is the worst because it makes my pants droop down in the direction of whichever pocket it is in. But I must carry it for safety's sake.

I had a Power Bar before I left. I was trying a new tactic. Since I was only going 14 miles, I thought it just might carry me. It did! I find eating them on the run to be difficult and time consuming. I relied on the Sport Beans to get me through. They did! I have some orange ones for next week.

So off I went. It was pitch black. Today's course as a huge loop through some new areas. Only the start and the end were to be overlapping. At about mile 3 or so a car pulled up slowly by me. It was a policeman! We exchanged Southern niceties.
Cop: Ya alright?
Me: Yeah. I'm runnin' (actually I was walking and drinking at that moment).
I appreciated his concern! I guess you don't normally see a woman running down a semi-rural road in the darkness who intends to be doing so. Had it not been for my morning appointment, I would have waited to run until the sun was up. Such is life. Now I get to be lazy all afternoon!

The run took me through the adjacent community of Salem. I listened to Phedippidations, Dr. Fitness and the Fat Guy, Running From The Reaper, and A Dieter's Life. I have gotten much better at making speedy transitions between podcasts, so I never had to slow down much.

I had high hopes for the run. I hoped to outrun "the wall!" I pretty much did, as my fairly consistent times will show:

Mile 1: 13:00
Mile 2: 12:54
Mile 3: 13:09
Mile 4: 14:00 (a bit too slow)
Mile 5: 12:41
Mile 6: 13:48 (a bit too slow)
Mile 7: 12:43
Mile 8: 12:51
Mile 9: 13:44
Mile 10: 12:52
Mile 11: 12:39
Mile 12: 13:03
Mile 13: 15:09 (it was all uphill and I wanted to conserve energy for my big finish!)
Mile 14: 12:12
Total: 3:04:51
Average: 13:12 per mile

Not too shabby! My marathon goal is 6 hours or less. Today's run was quite alright. I only started to feel fatigued when I approached that MONSTER MILE of hills at the end. I decided it would be wise to walk as much as I felt necessary.

What was amazing was the feeling of looking down at my Garmin and realizing that I had just ran 10 miles like it was nothing. Wow! I thank the podcasts for that.

Speaking of podcasts... I have an announcement! I have been asked to do an interview! We plan to "tape" tomorrow via telephone. The show is A Dieter's Life and is hosted by Ron in Florida. www.adieterslife.com It was the first podcast I ever subscribed to, and Ron helped turn me on to lots of other great shows. What did I ever do before discovering podcasts? I have "met" (online) many, many great people who share my same goals (health, fitness, running). One in particular is Dave O of ZAP 120. He also asked me to do an interview. I told him I would wait a while. The reason is that his show is geared towards obese people trying to get healthy. I have not been obese in about four years (but I was back then), yet I'm not quite where I want to be, either. So, I committed to interview with Dave O when I reach my next goal. His show is amazing. He is really transforming his life, as well as that of his listeners! www.zap120.com

That's all folks! Next week I ramp up to 16 miles. 10 days 'til Santa!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That's wonderful! What a great run for you.

For your cell phone, try finding a shoulder holster for the phone, this way it's not bouncing in your pockets but is snugged to your arm.

Aren't you little Ms. podcaster, that's awesome. You are definitely an inspiration!

MarathonChris said...

Great run and congrats on being interviewed on podcasts!! :-)

I wear a fuel belt on my runs and clip my cellphone to that (as well as my iPod, pepper spray and extra pouch to carry my Cliff shots). Kind of a pain to wear, but I have gotten use to it.

MarathonChris said...

Great run and congrats on being interviewed on podcasts!! :-)

I wear a fuel belt on my runs and clip my cellphone to that (as well as my iPod, pepper spray and extra pouch to carry my Cliff shots). Kind of a pain to wear, but I have gotten use to it.

CewTwo said...

I think that we all carry a lot of gear. Often, when I run I even take my dog, Molly. She needs her exercise as well.
I wear a runner's belt with water bottles and I stick the cell phone and the GPS (when I take it) in the pouch. Molly is on a leash at my side. She is very good on the leash.
I am really looking forward to listening to the interview on A Dieter's Life.