Saturday, December 23, 2006

LRM TR #30, Sweet Sixteen



LRM Miles Trained To Date: 181

What a day! Even though I got up super early to knock out my 16 mile longrun, I decided to maximize my time with my husband. He has been working TONS for almost two months now, so I thought it would be OK to postpone my longrun until the afternoon and spend the morning and early afternoon with him. I chose wisely! Before we headed out for errands, lunch, etc. we agreed to exchange one stocking stuffer. I gave him a gift card to our local movie theatre (because he hinted that he might like to go to the movie tonight). Again, I chose wisely! He gave me fourteen power bars - a whole variety. Yes, fourteen. That will take me all the way through the marathon. What a thoughtful gift! I knew my stocking looked as if it was about to bust at the seams... now I know why.

I liked last week's route so much that I decided to merely add two miles to it this week. Well, I couldn't have picked a more hilly two miles! I have now encountered the worst hills of my running career. Note to self: pick different route next week.

It was in the low 50's as far as the weather goes. The sun was shining and I was ready for it in my new sunglasses. They worked GREAT. Another good thing was that, for once, my shoes never came untied. A Christmas miracle!

My goal for today was to just take it easy and hope that it would be as enjoyable as yesterday's run. Well, it pretty much was. There was far more traffic on the roads this afternoon than there was last Saturday in the wee hours, but I guess that's to be expected. AND I have a major discovery today: I don't know why, but country folks seem to all have 4-6 dogs per house. I had several encounters with canines today. I never was really frightened (I am the dog whispered, after all - ha!) but one little one did nip at either my shoe or pantleg, I do recall. Oh well - no harm, no foul. Most dogs just want to bark and follow me for a while. If their owners are out, they always call them back (which sometimes works, sometimes does not). I came upon one intersection and found waiting for me SIX DOGS in the street, all standing or sitting in a row. SIX DOGS. Insanity, I tell you!

All of the miles went well. I never really hit "the wall"! My husband met me amid mile 14. It was juuuuust getting dark. I felt like Lance Armstrong (or some other famous athlete) as he tailed me home with his flashers on. What a guy! Then he massaged my poor ole legs and heated me up some dinner.

Here are my times:

Mile 1: 12:26

Mile 2: 12:31

Mile 3: 13:02

Mile 4: 13:03

Mile 5: 12:26

Mile 6: 15:43 (huh? must have been hilly or something...)

Mile 7: 13:12

Mile 8: 12:42 (I sent a "halfway done" text message at this point)

Mile 9: 13:50

Mile 10: 13:30

Mile 11: 12:43

Mile 12: 14:23 (hills?)

Mile 13: 13:58

Mile 14: 14:02 (hills?)

Mile 15: 13:38

Mile 16: 11:20 (big finish!)

Total: 3:32:34

Average: 13:17 per mile (right in the middle of my training range - yay!)

Inspired by Chris of www.marathonchris.blogspot.com, tomorrow I am going to post "my journey," how I got from where I used to be to where I am with running and all things fitness. I look forward to it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Job Susan!! Have a great holiday and I will try to update you on my day a little later as well! Excellent work with the challenge -- amazing!

MarathonChris said...

Great job on your run!!! A good 14 miler.

MarathonChris said...

Rather 16 miles....can't take away that credit!