Wednesday, January 17, 2007

LRM TR #42, My Friend The Treadmill

LRM Miles Trained To Date: 276

Knowing that today would be my second and final day off work (due to home improvement projects), I decided there was no need to get up and run in the sub-freezing temperatures outside. Either I'd do my 3-mile speedwork run outdoors later (presumably when it got warmer, which it never did) or I'd go to the gym (at least it is warm there). After some consideration, plus the realization that I needed to get out to do some quick shopping anyway, I headed to the gym. I thought that surely 3 miles on the dreadmill wouldn't kill me.

Well I was right! And the gym was surprisingly busy at 3 PM. I have finally found the ticket to efficient speedwork: the treadmill. After my warmup, I set it to a 10:30 mile pace and got to business. I finished with a 10:00 mile (and a little faster - big finish, you know).

Sooooo... the treadmill is now my friend. I admit it!

4 comments:

MarathonChris said...

Aha, so the treadmill IS your friend! :-) During the hot Florida summers, I sometimes use it to stay cool....

In spite of the nice warm temps, I am looking forward to some relief. It appears it will be a bit cooler for the 5K on Saturday - probably in the 50's. Should be a fun run!

Anonymous said...

Good job! That explains where you've been all day!!

CewTwo said...

I have to admit that I like the "Dreadmill" as well.
At first it was very boring. I knew what I needed to do for me, for my health. So, I stuck it out. A health podcast here, a running podcast there.
Suddenly, I was "Running for my life!" (and enjoying it!)
Good for you, Susan!

mrjwhit~ said...

I like the treadmill, but I do better on the road. I am such a wimp though that I can't take the cold. However when the gym is packed I only have one choice.

My goal is to slowly ween myself off the treadmill and become a consistent outside runner. The streets around my house are nice and make for some relaxing runs. I just can't take the cold. We'll see next week.