Saturday, February 10, 2007

LRM TR #54A, Priorities

LRM Miles Trained To Date: 368

Days Until First Marathon: 22

Well hello! Today has been a unique one. I should start with yesterday, though. For the first time in ages, I had fast food for dinner. I just had to have some french fries. Well, I did NOT feel good afterwards. Ick. After retreating to the couch to watch TV, I fell asleep there. I woke up much later and got ready for bed, which made me wide awake. Long story short: I was up until about 3 AM and then, in turn, slept until past 11 AM. NOT my normal routine!

My husband was going to have to put in some hours at work, so I opted to make today a treadmill day, since the temperature is under 40 degrees. I had 12 miles to log. The beauty of the tapering miles is that they do not necessarily take up my whole day. Previously, I really had to plan my Saturdays around the longruns. Those runs were my absolute priority. Nowadays, I can plan the runs into my day, inter-mixing them amongst other priorities. With several tasks to accomplish today (car wash, post office, treadmill, groceries), I got started at about 1:30 PM.

Still not feeling fabulous, I got to the gym just before 3 PM. I ate a power bar just before I went in. I was feeling "good enough." After 1.5 miles, I was in "gastro-intestinal distress," to put it politely, and had to take quite a restroom break. Eventually I got back on the treadmill and made it to mile 6. I was going to "reward" myself with a calisthenics break at that point. I did. I got back on the treadmill and noticed that it was pushing 5 PM (yes, the restroom break took just that long!) and I made a decision. I decided to stop there and do the other 6 miles tomorrow. I would otherwise have practically nothing to do tomorrow, so a 6 mile run would really brighten my day. And since I only did 6 today, I could easily do 6 tomorrow without being sore.

Off to the grocery store I went! And as I was almost done shopping I got so hungry and almost light-headed that I had to eat (before purchasing!) a 100-calorie energy bar. That hit the spot. And it made me especially glad that I didn't forge ahead all the way to mile 12. I can say that it was the first time in my life that I had a cashier ring up an empty wrapper!

The miles on the treadmill were good ones, all done at a 12:00 pace with a slight incline. Maybe tomorrow the weather will be a bit warmer and I can hit the streets. Fingers crossed!

2 comments:

Maddy said...

Damn those French Fries!

I must say, I am impressed with your attempt to put in 12 even when you weren't feeling well. I dont know that I would have been able to do the same.

I hope your six miles tomorrow are magical.

MarathonChris said...

I know that enough bad experiences with a food helps you stay away from them easier....but how soon we forget! Glad you got some mileage in. Thank goodness you were at the gym and not on the road somewhere looking for a porta potty!

Hope you have a good run today and that the weather gods are smiling down on you!