Saturday, February 24, 2007

LRM TR #60, A Dress Rehearsal

LRM Miles Trained To Date: 407

Days Until First Marathon: 7

Wow (twice). I have trained over four hundred miles - and I have a mere week left until my first marathon. Holy cow! It has definitely been an experience. I'm sure I'll be reflecting back on it over the course of the next seven days.

Today was to be my "dress rehearsal" for the big day. I intended to wear exactly what I planned to wear on marathon day: shorts and tee. Well, this morning was rainy and cool (58 degrees) and I had grand visions of marathon day being warm and sunny. Not so! As of this morning, the high next Sunday will be - what else - 58 with rain. Oh great.... BUT I thought that today would be an excellent opportunity to run in "marathon conditions." What a blessing! (says Miss Trying-To-Be-Upbeat about the crappy weather)

So, a change was in order. It would definitely require running pants and a light jacket. No problem. I got my gear together, ate, hydrated, and was out the door. It was not raining at that exact moment... but my luck soon ran out. It was cold and misty. I was listening to the ZAP 120 podcast (www.zap120.com). I just couldn't believe that this was my LAST longrun. This marked the 18th longrun for me. Man what a journey! I intended to savor every step of the out-and-back course.

After ZAP I switched to Phedip (www.steverunner.com) and listened, for a second time, to the FABULOUS show about Pre, aka Steve Prefontaine. I am seriously going to have that one in my iPod for marathon day. It was by far the most inspirational podcast about a running legend that I have ever experienced. At this point in my course, though, it started to POUR rain. I mean buckets! I put on my hood and just kept on running. I was at the turnaround point, so I really had no choice! I was actually smiling, though, as I felt like I was running with Pre. THAT was a great feeling.

And in the "home stretch" I listened to Dr. Monte's Fitness Rocks podcast (www.fitnessrocks.org). All the while I was thinking of the marathon course (which my husband and I plan to drive tomorrow, to strategize about meeting points and such). I was thinking of my pace group and how maybe I'd wind up making a few new (local) running pals. I was thinking of my very supportive friends who have all agreed to dot my course. And, most of all, I was thinking of my husband because he will be all over the course AND in my heart the whole time. Awwww!

I really planned on taking it very easy today. And I did. But my times look a bit fast for me. Oh well. Today was certainly a celebration!

Mile 1: 11:41
Mile 2: 11:43
Mile 3: 11:54
Mile 4: 12:33 (almost all uphill)
Mile 5: 11:40 (down the same hill!)
Mile 6: 11:40 (check out that consistency)
Mile 7: 11:55
Mile 8: 11:28 (big finish!)
Total: 1:34:47
Average: 11:50 per minute (wow!), 171 beats per minute (no wonder)

Now there is a thunderstorm warning until 4 PM. I'm glad I got out there when I did!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job Susan, enjoy your tapering!

MarathonChris said...

Wow, I can't believe your race is just one week away!!! And a terrific run in the rain! Excellent rehersal for the race.

You never know about the weather, maybe it will clear up for the race, who knows. You will be ready either way.

Does this race have runner tracking? You know we want to track your progress :-)

Maddy said...

Seven Days! Just Seven Days! It's almost here! I think it's wonderful that you will have people rooting for you throughout the course.

And you will have people all over the country rooting for you too!

I can't wait for the full report!

Unknown said...

I'm going to send you a race week to-do list for you...