Monday, March 19, 2007

SF10 TR #1, Tempo at Dusk

SF10 Miles Trained To Date: 5

It's that time again - TIME TO TRAIN! Today marks my first day of training for the Soldier Field 10 Mile race. Due to not getting home from a weekend trip until almost midnight, it was impossible to run this morning. But, as I have mentioned, I am considering transitioning to become an evening runner. I think it would make my evenings less monotonous. We'll see how I feel about it when it gets to be 95 degrees outside!

Coach Terry's plan called for 5 miles at tempo speed today. This time around we're working on improving my speed. So, I was to run between 10:30 and 10:45. I thought "aye aye aye" as I pondered running all day today. That seems so fast, especially for such a "long" distance. But I knew this would be challenging. Challenges make us better.

Mile 1: 10:09
Mile 2: 10:21
Mile 3: 10:48
Mile 4: 11:14
Mile 5: 11:10
Total: 53:45 (my 5-mile PR!!!)
Average: 10:45 per mile, 177 beats per minute

So, maybe I started too fast. But, I felt so ALIVE out there. I felt it even as I started my warm up walk to my starting point. Overall, it was fantastic. Now I just have to wait for it to be Wednesday so I can do interval training!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job, VTP! Welcome back to training!

Irish Blue said...

That's awesome! Your enthusiasm is infectious. I want to go run, run like the wind. ;-)

MarathonChris said...

Back on the training road again! Sounds like you had a great time. No marathon blues for you!

Unknown said...

Great job!


You called it, a little too fast in the beginning, but just something to keep an eye on... but you'll get a feel for your pace... I know you will.

Maddy said...

First of all, Welcome back to the training game!

Yay!

Also, I have experimented with morning running vs. evening running - You'll figure out what works best for you.

It turns out, I am a morning runner.