Thursday, April 05, 2007

Change of Pace - Literally

Man oh man - things are different this time around. While marathon training I had the focus of a bulldog clamped down on a steak. Now that I'm training for the 10-mile run, I feel less focused. Last night I went to run 4 easy miles with Kim. Instead we walked the whole time (briskly, but still...) and tossed advice and problems back and forth. I suppose in the grand scheme of life that was the best activity to occupy the hour, but on the other hand the training is suffering! I intended to make it up this morning... but I just absolutely can not get up to run (another HUGE difference compared to marathon training). So - there ya have it. It's "after work or nothing" for me these days... and only while alone!

6 comments:

ShirleyPerly said...

It's pretty normal to not feel as focused after training for and running a marathon. Perhaps lining up some running partners or joining a running group would help? How about going running with a family member who rides his/her bike?

Anonymous said...

Oh VTP, we are in the same boat for this race. My training is practically non-existent due to all the other issues in my life.

We need to make a pact to each other to get back on track!

CewTwo said...

It's funny. Approaching bicycle season here in the Denver area. I usually ride the bike 2 days a week for a change of pace. The wonderful bike path we are so used to is now under construction and they are finishing it at a snail's pace.
Riding that path, I have seen people together with 1 running and 1 biking. So, I know that other people do that.
All of us, I thonk everyone of us face that. I could not get to the task this morning, I was supposed to run 6.5 miles. Once I got to it, I decided to run 7.5 miles and loved it!
You'll get it done! I know you will!!!

Maddy said...

Here's an offer...

I can be your virtual training partner all the way in Central Florida.

It's hard not to do it when you have to be accountable ;-)

MarathonChris said...

I'm with Maddy. We will run with you. What time and how far do you want to go?

Don't be so hard on yourself!! You are that same, motivated, strong individual that set out to run a marathon and succeeded. No one (not even you) can take that away from you!

You have many running adventures ahead of you :-)

Hopefully I can get a podcast out by the end of this weekend to keep you going a bit!

Irish Blue said...

You ran a marathon. I've read that less than 1% of the population accomplishes what you have accomplished. Don't be too hard on yourself.