Monday, May 07, 2007

SF10 TR #20, A Fearless Five

SF10 Miles Trained To Date: 122.50

A strange thing happened last night. I noticed at bedtime that my back muscles were oddly tight. I'm, knock on wood, generally someone who has zero back problems. So for my back to feel weird was quite the strange sensation. When my alarm went off early this morning for me to accomplish 5 easy miles, I felt both lazy and ill-of-back, i.e. my back was just killing me. So I just went back to sleep. When I officially got up to get ready for work, it still hurt, but not so much once I got moving.

I forgot about the back issues while at work today, for the most part. I packed a bag of running gear because I was determined to run after work. The Soldier Field 10 Mile Run is less than three weeks away, and I want to do everything possible to make it the fastest experience possible! So, barring back pain, I would head out to the riverfront trail in Little Rock and get in those 5 miles.

5:30 came and I was pumped to go. Clouds loomed overhead, but I told myself I would absolutely run in the rain if that's how it had to be. It was about 80 degrees, and a little precipitation would not hurt! I parked in a fairly vacant business lot and got to it. I went ahead and had my iPod with me; I figured I could just stuff it and the ear buds in my pocket if it started pouring. Off I went!

I was feeling very, very good out there. I was thinking of the 10K and the SF10. I was thinking of how much I was looking forward to the SF10 and everything else in my running future. And after that my thoughts were on Phedippidations and the "first marathons" episode.

Long story short; it is just now starting to get ugly out there. I did the run and made it all the way home dry. It just goes to show that sometimes we have to be fearless!

Mile 1: 11:03
Mile 2: 10:40
Mile 3: 10:16 (holy cow - fast!)
Mile 4: 11:44 (what tha???)
Mile 5: 10:46
Total: 54:42
Average: 10:54 per mile, 174 beats per minute

8 comments:

Maddy said...

Sounds like a nice dry run today!

I wonder if your back pain stems from your massage. David (Adventures in the Thin Trade) said something like a massage loosens everything up and it takes a while for our bodies to adjsut to how it's supposed to be :: Point being that maybe your back is sore because it was all tight and now you have to get used to that.

Seems that once you got moving, you were cool -

Cory said...

Way to stick with your training plan. Hope your back does not give you any more problems.

nylisa said...

You're right about having to be fearless. It's the best feeling to push through and just do what you have planned.

ShirleyPerly said...

Great lesson. It's definitely helpful to train in less-than-ideal conditions. You never know what you'll get on race day.

Hope you don't have any more back problems!

Petraruns said...

Good for you for going out and dealing with the weather.. And I often find back pain gets better after a run.. Weird but true, it seems to loosen things up.

CewTwo said...

I love to run in the morning. I work the swing shift and I love the freedom that gives me to run. My employer even gives me that time to run without interruptions (I am usually the on-call manager).

I don't even want to talk about back aches and such. So far, my running has been ache free and I don't want to jinx it. I have found that other maladies do feel better during and after a run.

Now, I do know some people that consider me to be a "pain in the..."

But we shouldn't go there...

MarathonChris said...

Glad the back was not a real issue for you!! Sounds like you had an incredible run!

jeanne said...

that was a great episode of phedip! good job getting out there. i hope you are feeling better soon!