Monday, May 07, 2007

Reflections on Toad Suck

I have been thinking about the Toad Suck 10K. I have come up with several items.

1) It occurred to me that I did not experience any chafing, anywhere. Yay! And my feet made it blister-free.

2) I forgot to mention in my race report how I handled the one hill along the 10K course. I commanded that hill! I took that hill! It seemed that everyone around me slowed to walk it; I saw no need to do that. It wasn't much of a hill, and I knew that running it would give me confidence for the other side. I was right.

3) For me, running is all about self-improvement. If I can finish a race one second faster than last time (or my anticipated result) I have succeeded. I am only racing against MYSELF. I don't care if I still come in last place!

4) I am so, so lucky to have such supportive, encouraging blog buddies!

5) I am now motivated to start each training run IN my neighborhood. You see, I have been exiting the east side of the neighborhood because of its flatness. After about a year of that, I think it's high time to exit the west side and take that big hill!

6 comments:

Petraruns said...

Hey Susan - well done again! That's a great time and a great attitude! I feel the same way about running - I only compete with myself - and you're so right - the hills are to be conquered! Keep it up!

nylisa said...

Awesome! It's always great to read such positive reports.

Maddy said...

No chafing and no blisters? That's great - coming from the girl who wore closed toed shoes today to cover a particularly ugly blister on the tip of my toe...

I love that your fear of hills are gone! I need some hills. You will ace that Westside Hill without a doubt

MarathonChris said...

You have conquered the hills!!!! Congrats! You are so right about competing with yourself - and even then, you are working to become the better self you can be :-)

Keep on hitting the hills!

ShirleyPerly said...

Glad to hear no blisters or chafing. I wish I had hills to train on. You ARE lucky!

CewTwo said...

After trying different running shorts, I have a favorite pair for outside running. As conservative as I am, I do wear a pair of averly large shorts from time to time. They always end up chafing! Someday, I will learn.

Hills? If only there were a way for me to miss them. Sometimes it seems that my feet are hill magnets. I see it and I have to try it!

I love your reports, too! I look forward to reading them daily!