Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Day Six: HOT

My 4-mile tempo run was supposed to be run this morning. After a not-so-good night of sleep, that did not happen. So it was my mission to accomplish it after work. To my surprise, it did not feel that hot when I started, even though I knew the temperature was in the 90's. I was aiming to keep a 10:25 pace in my new Brooks. The first mile was accomplished in 10:08. One of these days (specifically, this Saturday) I am going to learn to pace myself. The second mile was done in 9:51. It was about this time that I realized that it was more humid than ever. It felt like I was swimming. And I was as sweaty as if I had just exited a pool. Yuck! Mile three, which was done in spurts, was accomplished in 10:27. That's more like it. I decided to walk the whole last mile. If I could repeat this 10:04 average on Saturday at the 5K, I would be on Cloud Nine! Maybe since it starts at 7:30 AM the heat won't get me. We shall see!

And the Brooks, as always, have started to blister me. Aargh!!!!! I must invest in some Body Glide. I have never used it before. Help!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you pushed through -- I can't wait for your race report Saturday. Do not fear the body glide!!

Maddy said...

Running in the humid air can be tough - the OUC Half Marathon in December was so humid at mile 10 - when I was walking due to the heat, I took off my shirt and wrang it out. Talk about YUCK! (It was 81 degrees at 10:30 that morning)

Way to stay tough!

Instead of Body Glide on my tootsies I use Vaseline. I guess it depends where you are blistering. I put a generous amount of Vaseline on the tips of my toes and the balls of my feet. It's way cheaper than Body Glide - which I also use for long runs.
The Body Glide is a must!

The only downside about the Vaseline is that stains my socks. I figure they're in my shoes anyway...

Unknown said...

Make sure that you hydrate well both Thursday and Friday, so you don't accidentally dehydrate yourself...

You'll do fine!

MarathonChris said...

I have used body glide on my feet before and it works great to prevent blisters. You will get those new shoes broken in soon!

Nice job on the run in the heat!