Tuesday, June 26, 2007

What's Next?

I am absolutely thrilled to announce my next big goal in the wide world of running. On December 1, 2007 I plan to set a new PR at the St. Jude Memphis Marathon!

However, there is more to it that what meets the eye: it is more than just a scenic race semi-close to home. You see, back when I was contemplating my next marathon, Maddy suggested that I participate in a Team In Training event. Unfortunately, it was close to that time that my dear friend Elijah relapsed. My 6-year-old friend had already battled Neuroblastoma, undergone a stem cell transplant, and nearly completed kindergarten. When I heard the unfortunate news, I knew that I had to do something more than merely train for my second marathon. I knew I had to RUN FOR A REASON. That is when I decided to become a St. Jude Hero and raise funds for the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital while training for my second marathon. Now that's better!

The St. Jude Heroes program sponsors many major races, such as the Marine Corps Marathon. With the help of Elijah's parents, Britt & Dawn, I plan to launch a major fundraising effort! As some of you may already know, "Pray For Elijah" reminder bands have been ordered (and can still be ordered). I ordered a large amount to distribute among my awesome running friends! I plan to wear one proudly on race day. In fact, as soon as they come in I plan to wear one before I even start training. (If you're unfamiliar with what a 'reminder band' looks like, I can assure you that you already know. They are the stretchy plastic colored bracelets many people are wearing -- like the Lance Armstrong "Live Strong" ones.)

My training will begin close to July 16th. I want this race to be an extra special experience; after all, it takes place on Elijah's birthday! Seems very appropriate, huh? I will have a shirt printed that says "I Run For Elijah" or something similar. Here is MY HERO:

Elijah is doing very well. He receives all chemo, tests, and treatment at Arkansas Children's Hospital. He is currently on a week-on, week-off schedule with chemo. He is just amazing. For just finishing kindergarten, he is one smart cookie: he is an amazing reader, acts more adult than any kid I've ever known, and he even outsmarts me by hopping on his mom's computer and sending me instant messages! Did I mention that he is SIX?

My friend Marathon Chris mentioned Elijah in her most recent podcast. She even formed Team Elijah for the Phedippidations Worldwide Half Marathon. Go ahead - join our team! We can all train together and run some miles in honor of Elijah.

I can't imagine more motivation to keep me running than the future of children, especially a child so dear to my heart. Can you? :-)

8 comments:

Dawn said...

Susan - you can't imagine how touched we are by this.. We love you so much and are so proud to consider you one of our dearest friends.. You already know that I think YOU are incredibly inspiring and for you to want to do this for our sweet boy is just amazing.. Elijah wanted me to give you this message.. He was SO tickled that you talked about him on your grown up blog!
Hi Susan
Thank you for putting my picture on your blog. I really like it. I am excited to go to Memphis for my birthday and see you in the race.
Love, Elijah
www.prayforelijah.com

Petraruns said...

Susan this is amazing. I am full of awe for you and for this wonderful little boy - you really have found a noble purpose for your running. I am thrilled and proud to be a part of the Phedip team Elijah and will be there for you, virtually, every step of the way in your training program to achieve this amazing goal. Go girl!

MarathonChris said...

Congrats on starting the journey to your next marathon! I can see that Elijah is thrilled and will be there to cheer you on. You know we will be cheering for you as well, and training with you this summer as well!

It is wonderful to turn your running into something that benefits others as well as your self!!

Darrell said...

This will certainly be a race to remember. I will keep Elijah in my thoughts and prayers.

ShirleyPerly said...

A great reason to run! And I think you'll really enjoy running St. Jude. The course is gently rolling, quite scenic and has a nice stadium finish. We had great weather in 2004 -- sunny and in the 40's. I think it's a good course for a PR. Good luck with your training!!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic!

My sister and I became St Jude partners in hope a couple of years ago after a local radio station sponsored a telethon. I am sure it's much more inspiring when you actually know a child affected by cancer!

I will sign up for Team Elijah!

CewTwo said...

Susan, you are quite a lady. And running for Elijah (who is quite a guy)is a very worthy cause.

Thanks for all you do in your journey of life. You inspire and support many of us in and surrounding the running community.

Thanks, Coach!

Maddy said...

I am so excited for you and can only imagine the excitemnet Elijah is feeling - you are running just for him!

Let me know how I can help!