Monday, July 16, 2007

Maine, The Short Version

After having to, unfortunately, attend a funeral visitation on Thursday night a hundred miles away, my travel to Maine on Friday the 13th was done NOT in a well-rested manner. My flight left at 6 AM! So I first flew to Atlanta with no problems, then to JFK where I was to meet my two traveling mates, Katie and Jenn. We could not find Jenn; and even though we were right where we were supposed to be, Katie and I missed the flight to Portland, Maine! How on earth could that happen to a detail-oriented architect/CPA duo? Well, it did. So we had to wait 2 hours to catch another flight, which then left an hour late. So by the time we got to Portland, our Kennebunk 5K was well underway. So no 5K for the IIT girls! Instead we headed to the hotel. Along the way way stopped for seafood. Katie and I had never had lobster! Jenn snapped this photo of Katie pretending that her lobster is about to eat me. We had a blast at the outdoor restaurant. We also had clams for the first time.
We arrived at the Pleasant Point Inn after dark. We immediately found some other college chums and the bride and groom. We drove back into "civilization" for a snack of delicious ice cream. Then us three ladies turned in.

On Saturday morning Katie and I did a 4.1 mile run along the hilly Hwy. 5 just out from the hotel/resort. Afterwards we sat down by the lake, pictured here.
Everyone in attendance from out-of-state decided to caravan to the church, 30 minutes away. Long story short: the college-friends crew got lost and they had to wait on us to start the wedding! I'm thankful Andrea, aka bride, didn't start without us!

She was delivered to the church in the groom's grandfather's pristine 1950 Cadillac. The Caddy also delivered the bride and groom back to the reception. Below is the gorgeous inn, home of the reception.


After a fun evening of dinner and dancing, Katie and I were the first to turn in because our flight was much earlier than Jenn's. We made it back to Portland with no problems, a miracle! We got to JFK only to find out that my flight to Atlanta had been delayed by about an hour. At least we got to hang out together a bit longer.

However, I was concerned about making my connecting flight back to Little Rock. I got to Atlanta to find out that storms had pushed my flight back by *gulp* two hours! And I was already tired AND supposed to start marathon training mere hours from then. Grr! I finally arrived in Little Rock, was picked up by Chasen, got home at 10:20 PM, then could not sleep due to an upset stomach from eating all of the I'm-about-start-training-so-I-better-eat-junk-while-I-can food. Alas, as you know, I was up early this morning to begin my training.

All in all, it was a beautiful weekend, despite travel issues (of all kinds). Andrea and Will are now celebrating their honeymoon in Maine, I'm again marathon training (YAY!) and my traveling mates got home safely.

4 comments:

MarathonChris said...

Sounds like a fun time that was much too short!!! I understand the disruption in sleep, eating and such. Way to go on your 6 miler!!! You speed demon you!

Maddy said...

What a trip!

ShirleyPerly said...

WOW! That's quite the trip! I'm so glad everything worked out, that is, except for the 5K (but you know there are plenty of 5Ks around).

And nice photos! Maine looks beautiful in the summer.

Best of luck in your training!!!

CewTwo said...

If it isn't one thing then it's another! What a weekend!