Monday, August 27, 2007

RFE TR #22

Total Miles Trained For Elijah: 154

Wow - some runs are good, some runs are not. Today's 8-miler was GREAT! Even though I did not get quite enough sleep, I knew I was ready for the run because I woke up before my alarm. I went back to sleep, then hit snooze once. I hit the start button at 4:54 AM. It was very, very nice out there. Fall is in the air, folks (even though the high today will be 99 degrees). It was a mere 75 degrees and the humidity must have been low, because it really did seem cool. No kidding!

Admittedly, I was thinking "Eight miles? Jeez. How on earth will I do that? I do not want to do a boring out-and-back-course." So I mixed it up a bit. First I ran to the new neighborhood being built behind me. From there I ran to the ritzy neighborhood beyond that. Then I ran back over to the other side of the interstate behind the hospital, then through downtown and all the way to the industrial district. I again crossed the interstate and pushed stop just as I entered the west side of my neighborhood. Wow - from Jeez to done. Bam!

Isn't it amazing what a little good weather can do for the running mojo? I felt so ALIVE out there. It was very invigorating. And there was a full moon, also. My splits were: 12:47, 12:04, 12:36, 12:35, 11:33, 12:18, 13:08 (ick), 12:33. Much better!

In other good news, I was not sore at all yesterday after my killer 16-miler on Saturday. On Wednesday I am going to do hill repeats. Pray for me! :)

7 comments:

jeanne said...

congratulations! i never cease to be amazed at the whole running in the middle of the night thing. Do you go home and then go to work? aren't you afraid? It sounds very cool (literally)!

ShirleyPerly said...

Glad that it's starting to feel like fall some places (though not in central FL yet, unfortunately). Love how you got that 16-miler done and bounced back to whoop the 8-miler. WAY TO GO, SUSAN!!!

Susan said...

I do go home and get ready for work, then make the 30 minute commute. Fortunately, my boss let's me work 8:30 - 5:30... so having 30 extra minutes in the morning is what allows me to get the mileage in! Well, that and getting up super early (with longer distances).

I only get afraid when I see someone... which is the same scenario as during daylight running for me. I usually see NO ONE at those pre-dawn hours, so it's usually good. This morning I saw 3-4 runners and 2-3 walkers when I was out. And, of course, I try to only run in "safe" areas.

It's amazing; I used to think getting up before 6 AM to run was just unheard of... and look at me now! :) Crazy runner girl...

Kevin said...

Great training you Studette!!!

Nicole said...

I'm so happy it's getting cooler. I love exploring around town on my runs too. It's so invigorating! Great run!

Maddy said...

Just awesome!

Nice job on the run!

Have you thought about a portable keychain style pepper spray to take with you in the pre-dawn hours?

MarathonChris said...

Way to knock out that 8 miler!!! I am with Maddy, if you are going to be out alone, it doesn't hurt to have one of those pepper spray things along. I still need to replace mine (I like the one that clips to my belt). When I am passing someone, or in a darker area, I hold it in my hand while I run so it is ready to go. I imagine it also helps if you have stray dog problems.

My biggest issue with running in the dark is fear of tripping where the street lamps are out and I can't quite see the sidewalk I am running on!