Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Doctor's Visit

The Short Version: GOOD NEWS!!!! Back to running!

The Long Version: I called to try to bump up my appointment, and that was successful. I got in and the first thing I asked Dr. C was "Are you a runner?" He said "Awww I used to be... now I only run about 3 miles per day." That sounds like a runner to me!

After telling him my recent history we took x-rays. Did you know that they no longer print them out? Yup -- they show them on a monitor or print them on a regular printer.

Cliffs notes in doctor-speak: I have some calcification of the lower tibia, between the tibia and fibula. It probably indicates past tearing of interosseous ligaments (the ligaments between the two bones). This can cause a diastasis (a spreading apart of the tibia and fibula)) which could make the ankle somewhat unstable.

For now I have an ankle brace (like support hose!) to wear when running, which I can do tomorrow. I am ecstatic!

He said to call if I had any problems... and good luck in my marathon!

Update: Tonya, aka Fit Camp Trainer, called to check on me. Upon hearing the news of my doctor's visit, she said that she could not - in good conscience as a trainer - encourage me to come tonight, due to the exercises she has planned. I was impressed!

8 comments:

G said...

Hang in there! I'll be praying that you are able to run St Judes!!

lots of ice!

MarathonChris said...

Hurray that you are back on the road!!! Glad that you got a real diagnosis - no more guessing, and back to the road! :-)

Susan said...

I'm w/ Chris--so glad that you got a real diagnosis and now know just what's going on. It makes a lot of sense, too, upon hearing how your ankle responded, etc.

I'm so glad it wasn't anything worse, and that you'll be up and running! I know you're excited!

I'm doing longer bits of running in my training schedule, too, SS!! Today--two repeats of 12 minutes! I'm going back out to that trail (maybe putting a flare in my pocket just in case, haha), too.

Your 'Fitness Camp' instructor obviously sees your dedication & determination. I'm impressed by *BOTH* of you!!! :)

Keep on Keepin' On!!!!

Maddy said...

Yay! On the road again!

So glad you went to the Dr.

Now you know for sure!

Papa Louie said...

Glad to hear you got the ok to run. Enjoy your run but don't get too excited and run too hard.

ShirleyPerly said...

Great news!!

Anonymous said...

Great news, maybe that's the doctor I should have used. I can't run for 3 weeks, 2 now, I sprained my ankle running and I'm using the elliptical, biking and learning to swim. It has really put a damper on my Little Rock Marathon training, my pity party continues on!

Nicole said...

I happy to hear your okay to run! Yay!