Thursday, October 25, 2007

RFE TR #41

Total Miles Trained For Elijah: 326.1

When my training schedule was reduced to three runs per week, due to my ankle, I thought "Oh how easy! I should never miss a run." Famous last words.

On Tuesday morning I woke at 5 AM and decided that it was just too COLD and rainy for me. Had I not spent the last 10+ days on Sudafed (which I am now calling the 'Fed) I wouldn't have worried with it. However, now that I am feeling tons better I do not want to chance getting sick again. So rain plus cold equals a no-go these days. And, obviously, I did not work up the gumption to go and face the dreadmill.

On the upside I thought "When I run on Thursday, my ankle will have had almost five days of rest. It should be great!" Well, not so much...

My ankle hurt just walking to the starting point - the church parking lot. Just walking! Aargh. I seriously contemplated going back home, but then I figured that I had taken the trouble to get up and get dressed for the 47 degree weather anyway... and what would I do at 5 AM? And I also thought that I better try to "work out the kinks" before Saturday's 22-miler with Annette. So I jogged around the parking lot a little bit and it felt fine. Walking hurt, jogging did not. Weird!

I chose to go west, because it is flatter than going east. I did an out-and-back, and I'm glad I did because I contemplated cutting it short, then convinced myself to just go out three miles (and HELLO I'll have to get home!) because anything less wasn't worth getting up for. Ha!

In hindsight, my splits were great. Considering I was supposed to be doing 12:15-12:25 miles, things went well. I did 12:05, 11:23, 10:58, 11:12, 11:57, 12:04. My average pace was 11:43. My hamstring hurt a bit, so it got Biofreeze, as did my ankle, after I showered. I now have an Ace bandage on my ankle to try to prevent swelling and to offer a bit of support. Oh the woes of trying to get to the starting line of a marathon!

8 comments:

ShirleyPerly said...

Good job getting out there and I'm glad the ankle did not bother you while running.

Hope you get well soon. I've just gotten over a nasty stomach flu bug that totally messed up my workouts this week. Back to square one for me: Get healthy first.

Unknown said...

Great work, even if you missed a run. Your ankle was probably hurting from too much rest and not enough usage since it didn't hurt while running. Just make sure that you warm it up before you start running and you'll be doing those split times in your sleep!

CewTwo said...

I wish that I could run. There is a stomach something floating through our neighborhood as well. Totally debillitating the first day and aches and pains after that!

I haven't run in 3 days! I'm getting fat and lazy!

Annette said...

Sorry to hear about the aches and pains!!!!

I look forward to our run on Saturday, I am bringing along Michele and Kelly it should be fun!

MarathonChris said...

Way to hang in there for the run! I guess all the bugs are out there - we all need to be extra careful not to get sick.

Your split times look great!!

lizzie lee said...

No bad splits at all for being hurt for a while. Good luck tomorrow in your 22-miler, let us know how it went.

sincere-lee
lizzie lee

peter said...

Great splits on your run. Fortunately I don't belong to a gym so when I awaken and hear the rain cascading down, there is no dreadmill option for me so I can snuggle back into my covers with no guilty feelings!

Petraruns said...

How did you do today? Did you make it out there? Did you do your 22? Thinking of you - hope it's all going well.

Take care, Petra