Sunday, October 21, 2007

Memphis Trip

Today I had the opportunity to travel to Memphis! You see, my friend Thi from college was going to be there as part of a road trip vacation with others. So as they were touring Graceland, I drove the St. Jude Memphis Marathon course. And I'm so glad I did!


What I learned is: the course is fairly flat! It goes through some gorgeous older areas of town. Picture this: tree-lined boulevards with beautiful homes. Wow! It starts and ends downtown, which is a pretty exciting place. Overall, I give the course two thumbs up!

Of course, it runs by St. Jude's... and that is an amazing campus.


After the course tour, I met up with Thi and pals. We had dinner and then I headed back home... but not before taking a photo!

4 comments:

peter said...

For the longest time my best marathon time was at the 2003 Columbus Marathon (my sixth) where my sister lives. I drove the course beforehand with her and then visualized it in my mind the entire day before. It really helped me do well at Columbus, and I'm glad you have seen close at hand your upcoming marathon. (It also helped that Columbus is flat--I highly recommend it!)

CewTwo said...

Being essentially a noob still, I don't know what to think about exploring the course of a race. I don't like surprises so I think I would when I could.

I'm glad you did it and was able to formulate a plan for the big event!

MarathonChris said...

That was great getting a chance to explore the race course ahead of time! And a nice visit with a friend to boot!

ShirleyPerly said...

Sounds like a fun trip! I think it helps to see the course beforehand, if possible. I didn't have a car when I was in Memphis so I didn't get to do so but while running it I did think it was fairly flat and quite scenic. There were lots of additional fun stuff to see and hear along the way. I'm sure you'll love running the race.