Thursday, December 20, 2007

Good, Very Bad, Good

Yesterday I got my stitches removed from my mouth! I was given a thumbs-up rating at the Periodontist's office. Hooray! I have to go back in 5 weeks for another look, but that is just routine procedure. My mouth continues to heal. I was assured that by Christmas it would be much less painful to eat.

This morning I was scheduled for a personal training session. I was wiped out yesterday and ended up sleeping for 9.5 hours last night. I popped out of bed excited to go work out. I walked .8 miles on the treadmill before Tonya arrived early. The workout began.

Today she had me run up and down the stairs (one flight) amid exercises to add cardio intensity to the workout. By the second stair drill I was feeling drained. A few more exercises after that and I was feeling nauseous. I hung in there for two more sets... then I told her I was not feeling well. I sat on a step-bench for a few seconds. Tonya said to get some water, and then we went to start leg lifts, which are usually easy enough. Well, after one I was DONE. I was so sick. I wanted to throw up badly. I told her, headed to the water fountain, then sat on the long bench next to it. I started moving things over to try to lay down, but she wouldn't let me! She said to stay vertical. I felt just horrible -- completely nauseated. She got me a second wet rag by this point. Then the gym started to get dark. This whole time she was asking me questions. The next thing I knew I heard her yell "Need help... medical... seizure!" Apparently she saw my eyes roll back and I fell to the side (to a laying position on the bench). I heard "seizure" and popped up! Who was having a seizure, I wondered. There was another lady there by this point and they were both all over me. By now they had a wet washcloth. I literally could not see clearly, and could not remember my home phone number. A second later my vision was cleared and she was calling Chasen (my memory came back to me -- she was too worried to go and dig through paperwork -- and in hindsight I was wearing my Road ID on my shoes with all pertinent info).

In a snap of the fingers I went from awful to just fine. I was A-OK by this point, but she would not let me drive home. I knew Chasen would be worried sick, so I started the call with "I'm OK, but..."

So we got home and I was "forbid" from going to work today. :) I called and made an appointment with my regular doctor, just to be safe. We went this afternoon. Dr. M said I had a syncope, and it was just a freak thing, probably due to the intensity working the muscles, draining blood from my head to the areas that needed help to work out. I am free to do whatever I want, effective immediately. She thought having the oral surgery, lacking in sleep over the past week and having taken many pain pills could have added to it... but regardless it's all done (including the taking of the pain pills -- the mouth is tons better). She did take a urine sample and ruled out one of the more obvious culprits.

I went back to the gym to get my car and talked with Tonya. She, as well as the lady that helped this morning, is convinced that I had low blood sugar. I usually eat a little something before sessions with her. I guess I'll eat more!

I have given Chasen a major scare -- so I have to treat him very nicely now. Ha!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Susan,

Sorry for your scare......how frightening that must of been. Glad to hear you doing ok!

Ron

peter said...

You be careful out there! Glad you're okay. Glad you had your road ID on, that's exactly why we need them (every pair of running shoes I own, several, has its own runner's id). Take a few days off, and you'll return stronger than ever!

CewTwo said...

Do be careful, friend!

Sorry to hear of your health trials. I hope everything will be better soon.

I have Road Ids on all of my shoes, too. Just a smart thing to do. I also store my pertinent, important telephone numbers on my ceel phone with the letters "ICE" in front - In Case of Emergency...

Annette said...

Oh wow Susan... that is quite the scare!! I hope you and Chasen have both recovered from it by now. I agree about it possibly being low blood sugar. Something similiar to that happened to me last year after the Memphis 1/2 marathon and I'm convinced it was low blood sugar/pressure. Be careful!!!

Maddy said...

Holy smokes girl! I'm glad you're okay.

That's some scary stuff!

Cheryl said...

Glad to hear you are OK!! I got my first Road ID as a christmas present yesterday! Also - Great to see you yesterday, you gave us a little boost of energy!

Arland said...

Glad it wasn't something major. Sounds like you just took everything out of your legs with that workout.I have seen that happen before and I had a similar thing happen doing some heavy leg workouts with weights several years ago. Nothing to worry about though.