Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Only Semi-Dreadful

I did it. I did 5 miles on the treadmill. And I'm still alive. Ha!

I did notice with 2 miles to go that I really didn't want to forge ahead. Then I thought "If I was on the road, this would seem like nothing." But the road does not have TV and a nearby restroom. So I got over it and finished.

Coach Terry has prepared a schedule for me based on the Furman plan. I'll be running 3 days per week, plus some intense cross training. I am ready!

As I was leaving work today (in my running clothes) my boss asked if I was going running. It was, obviously, a rhetorical question. I nodded and smiled. He asked if I was running in Benton. I explained that I normally run in Benton in the wee hours (he knows this) but I was actually going to the gym as I am back in marathon training and am majorly changing the way I do things. He asked why. I told him for variety! And I told him I'm training for 9 1/2 weeks vs. 16-20 weeks. He was mystified that someone would have to "start over" each time, to some degree. Then he kind of scratched his head and said "Well I guess otherwise you'd always have to be in marathon shape, and you'd probably be bored with it." So true! I said "Yes, and extremely tired!"

Tomorrow is a cross training day. Bring on that garage elliptical!

5 comments:

Arland said...

5 miles on a treadmill is a lot! I think my record is about 7.5. The Furman plan looks interesting. You will have to keep us posted how it goes.

Unknown said...

I was talking with a guy yesterday who knew that I was training for a marathon last fall that when you are in marathon shape you say "Why Run, it's just 4 miles." But when you are out of marathon shape (but still in general running shape) you think "Man, this 4 miles is tough"

I'm in that "3 miles is tough phase" and this too shall pass!

Chief Wahoo said...

Congrats on the 5 miles on the "dreadmill" - you know how much I hate them...

Thanks for the link to the furman plan - it's always good to see and review new programs.

Unknown said...

yuck, treadmills. Fixing to go get my run in now. Nope, can't call you weird, I'm the one that thinks the goats are cute ;-) AND posted the pic of the donkey!!

ShirleyPerly said...

Yes, being in perpetual marathon shape does get kind of boring. It's not as tiring as you might think, though, since it requires much less energy to maintain fitness than it does to get into shape. Keeping things interesting is more of a challenge.