Sunday, February 10, 2008

Quite A Sunday

I am beginning to think that I'll have to be 100% sedentary for my peroneal tendon to feel better. It seems that it hurts if I do anything at all. Squatting down is a killer. It hurts after going to the personal trainer, riding the bicycle, breathing, you name it. Not horribly so, but pain none the less.

On the other hand, while "running through it" a few months ago, I believe I was conditioned to just "live with it." Now I am so inactive that any little thing comes to my attention. Alas, I will try to be as "still" as possible without going insane. Seems fair.

I had a pretty busy week, so the bike trainer never got used. This morning, however, I was determined to put in some mileage. So I set it up in the living room. I only made it about 40 minutes, and that was begrudgingly. I hated every second of it, I hate to say. Everything from upper thighs to lower back hurt, to put it politely. After a consultation with my amazing friend, I realized some errors on my part.

Moving forward! This afternoon was day one of the new Run Club that I was asked to help coach. Chasen went with me. Counting him, there were 8 runners there! That's a good size. They're all beginners (well, maybe not Chasen, as he flew past them -- Mr. Showoff). Tonya the Trainer and a fellow "lifter" ran the bleachers as I manned the track. I must say I enjoyed it! I liked rooting them on and blowing the whistle. Fun stuff! They did 4 minutes of walking, 1 minute of running -- 30 minutes worth. Then Tonya stretched them out. A perfect afternoon!

Clipboard, stopwatch, whistle -- move over, Alberto Salazar.

Once that was all said and done, I came home to show that bicycle who is boss. I removed Daisy from the trainer and we took it to the streets. Gosh - it is sooooo much easier to ride the roads. We did 5 miles (uphill both ways). I even pedaled down the service road for a bit! I am moving up in the world, you know. Ha!

So now I am contemplating swimming -- just as a means of exercise that hopefully won't hurt my peroneal tendon. What do you think? I am not abandoning Daisy, mind you... just managing my injured expectations.

7 comments:

MarathonChris said...

Great being out there coaching other folks! :-) It's Coach Susan!

Swimming is supposed to be an excellent workout. Certainly worth a try! Shirley could provide advice on that as well.

Kim said...

I started swimming last August when I had the stress fractures in my foot. I've enjoyed it so much, I swim as often as I can (almost everyday!!!). I also started taking water aerobics 4x a week---didn't think it would be good cross-training, but it is!!! Try it, I think you'll like it too :)

Sunshine said...

Good luck with that.. hoping swimming is good for you.

ShirleyPerly said...

Susan, sorry to hear of your continued ankle pain. You are ever the inspiration, though, finding other ways to stay fit and sane through the injury.

Feel free to email me anytime about cycling and as for swimming, beware that some strokes, say, those that involve flutter kicking, may aggravate your ankle by forcing it to flex repetitively against the water. I noticed this when I sprained my ankle last year and thought more swimming would be good since I couldn't run much. It was, but I ended up doing mostly breaststroke or freestyle with a pull buoy (both of which allowed me to swim w/o flexing my ankle). In the pool I also did some deep water jogging while wearing a flotation belt and an ankle brace. Deep water aerobics is also probably good if you have the opportunity.

Jodi said...

get well soon!

Petraruns said...

Injury is such a challenge! But my goodness no-one rises to it like you girlfriend! Well done and do try the swimming - I'm sure it will be great just to be able to get out there and not hurt. I know the feeling..

And coach Susan is just so cool - the whistle and clipboard are fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Sorry your ankle is giving you fits! I know how that it is, seems like everything bothers you when you just want to workout! Enjoy the running club, you are a good motivator and before you know it you'll be back out there yourself.