Sunday, November 09, 2008

Six in the City... Park

Yesterday I again met Lisa and Norma at the park for their half marathon training. Six miles were on the docket. I actually did all six, and I even ran a tiny portion (like, a tenth of a mile occasionally). That little bit did not leave me with any post-run knee pain. I think for my next run I shall try some intervals!

It was a gorgeous, crisp morning. I wore my entire maternity running wardrobe, which now consists of not only a running jacket but also some cool tights! They're fabulous; I could totally get away with wearing them with a long sweater (since, apparently, the yucky 1980's are back, and they're more like "pants" than running tights). The website said I'd probably want to wear them post-baby. For how much they cost, I'd better! :)

I have been working quite a lot, as I have touched on previously. And some nice people have asked me how it is going. Here's the deal, and it even relates to running. I have noticed a distinct pattern in my seven months of self-employment: feast or famine. I'm either so busy I can't imagine how I'll get it all done, or I am unemployed. Quite the contrast! I have faced 4.5 months of extreme workload and 2.5 months of zilch. Fortunately, the "zilch" came when a) we were in the middle of selling our old house and relocating, and b) the early weeks of pregnancy. I'd say "everything happens for a reason" to that!

As it relates to running, this is quite a change for me. Now, we ALL know that running is good for stress management. I have heard it time and time again. However, since I have always been an early morning runner, I can't say that I have experienced the stress relief of it all. I mean, who has stress at 5:30 AM??? Well, now, I am morphing into an after work / late afternoon runner (or walker, as is now mostly the case). And I DEFINITELY see the stress relief of it all. I leave the work stress back at my desk and get outdoors and forget it all. Brilliant!

So that's where I am with it all. Have a great week!

10 comments:

Irish Blue said...

Susan,
You sound so happy, healthy and joyful! Keep enjoying your afternoon outings and the pregnancy. My advice, get lots of sleep too. ;-)

Petraruns said...

I'm with IrishBlue here - use that stress relief when you can and enjoy where you're at.

I'm about to go fully self-employed at the end of January so will be in exactly the same position as you, I'm sure. At least I'll have a friend who understands!

Arland said...

I think I get stressed out to get up at 5am on work days I prefer to run after work. However, getting out the door is much harder then because of all the stress from the day. But once you get out there its all gone. Just getting out the door is the hardest part. You continue to prove that it can be done. Keep up the good work!!

Tammy said...

Susan your are so funny hee hee. True, who is stressed at 5:30 am in the morning, I loved doing my early running at 5 a.m. just make sure you do sleep, sleep, and sleep especially when your body tells you. Architecture kind of puts a ton of stress on you,(take it from a spouce of one) And running does help with stress :D Your doing a wonderful job Susan

ShirleyPerly said...

When I was in school and working a lot, I'd always run late afternoons or evenings. It was indeed a large part of my stress management routine. Glad you have discovered it too!

Bev said...

Sounds like life is going well. I'm happy for you. It's great you have been able to keep up moving so consistently. I am fine. I have just lost all my motivation to blog. I have also lost a lot of motivation to work out, but I'm working on that. Just so much stuff to do and take care of so running has definitely gotten the short end of the stick. Take care and I'll try to drop by from time to time.

CewTwo said...

You look Mahvelous, dahling!

Running is good for stress? Taht explains a lot with me!

Jade Lady said...

Stress relief is such a big thing for me and why I run too. And, congrats on the pregnancy!

Kim said...

I'm an early morning person by nature so I love my morning workouts! I always feel much more accomplished throughout the day...glad to read you're still able to be so active!

lizzie lee said...

Very funny your Six in the City.... and it was not a typo!!!! You transmit a great positive VIBE!!!!!