Saturday, February 20, 2010

What's Up?

Sometimes life throws a lot our way. All we can do is the best we can! My "saga" begins about two weeks ago, actually, when I detected some knee pain. I cut a run short and then got through a longrun pain free. Score! Next thing I knew, it hurt after standing on my feet all day a week ago baking for Isaac's birthday party. I literally had to ice it after that. Two days later when I tried to run 12 miles, I had to stop at 8.75 due to the same pain. Aaack! Needless to say, this, in combination with an overly busy husband, has put the skids on P90X for about a week and a half. *sigh*

Next, my non-running life got busy. One walk/run was all I could handle this past week, and NO P90X. I was trying to give the knee a chance to get some peace, among other things, but my body was still very tired because Mr. Isaac is cutting some molars, I believe. Aaah, Calgon, take me away! But not before we go see the pediatrician...

Here is the 1-year-old waiting to go back for his 1-year checkup on Wednesday.

Come on, Doc, where are ya?

Isaac is in the 40th percentile for weight and the 90th percentile for height. Tall and slim -- nothin' wrong with that! And he has now given up bottles and formula in exchange for sippy cups and whole milk like a champion! That is a huge relief for me, because I have some friends who are having a really rough time with that transition right now.

On Thursday, after only four hours of sleep, I had to get myself to Hernando, MS to board a bus by 6:15 AM with the rest of my Leadership DeSoto group to take a trip to the Mississippi State Capitol in Jackson, MS. Man oh man - I was tired. But the day was awesome. And I don't think I have to explain how good it felt to get to be "Susan" instead of "Mommy" that day! As a bonus, I discovered that one of the guys recently ran his first marathon. Oh the chatting began!

Here is the front of the Capitol. As a new Mississippian, it was great to be able to visit Jackson.

Here is the view from the entry of the rotunda.

I got home and was exhausted, as you can imagine. Four hours of sleep, six hours on a bus, walking and talking.... ack! That night I got eight hours of sleep and still woke up tired. But, I had a continuing education class to get to in nearby Southaven, MS. Chasen, who now has a cold because he too darn busy and tired, stayed home with Isaac both days. At the class I learned all about fire safety and sprinkler systems. That day I got to be "Architect" instead of "Mommy." Again, it was awesome!

I am determined that effective immediately we (or at least I) are getting back on the running/P90X schedule. Wish me luck! I am sure all you parents (especially mothers) can relate to the challenges of trying to manage it all. It is certainly a challenge. Some days are victories simply by being able to get cleaned up and put a good meal on the table. Other days I get to "do it all" and feel a lot more accomplished. That's the thing about not being able to run or work out -- I feel like I accomplish nothing that day. Not a good feeling! It makes me wonder how moms who do not run cope with it all, because running is definitely my outlet. My knee has better let it continue to be!

3 comments:

Newly and Forever, Tamantha said...

Be careful with that P90X..all those plymetrics were killer on my knees and feet!

Petraruns said...

Oh sweetie - take it easy on yourself! You are doing really well on all fronts - truly - but it sounds like this P90X might be a bit hard on your knees and you just don't want to go there...

ShirleyPerly said...

Oh, I hope the knee pain is nothing serious. I too agree that probably best to lay off plyometrics while it is bothering you. When I used to teach fitness classes, I modified plyometric moves for those who had joint problems by suggesting they stay grounded (no jumping) and add weight for extra resistance if they wanted.

Hope Chasen is feeling better and does not share his cold.