Sunday, August 28, 2011

Highs and Lows

I remember back in the day, pre-Isaac, when I actually blogged after EVERY run. Man oh man - I can't believe that I ever had time to do that. But I'm glad I did, as it is nice to be able to look back and see where I've been. I fully blame social media (aka Facebook and Twitter, both of which I love) for the demise of blogging as a whole. For me, though, the excuse is social media plus motherhood. It would be really, really easy to just abandon this blog... but I refuse to do so. I have five years of content with many more to come! It may not be as well written as it once was (considering I have to do posts in ten minutes or less now) but I value it none the less. Viva la blog!

OK, off my soap box. This week has been filled with a variety of experiences, both running and otherwise. After being home for sixty straight days, my semi-frequently travelling husband hit the road for a 2.5 day trip. But before he went, he tended to our yard. And one of Isaac's most favorite things to do is catch a short ride on the lawnmower, so everybody wins.

My two best guys having some father-son fun on a hot summer day.

After riding the lawnmower, one likes to get a shower and try on daddy's glasses. Cute!

Sometimes one even has to take a nap on one's new monkey nap mat for Mother's Day Out.

This week my running was anything but boring. No two runs were the same. Here's why:

On Monday I did a 9 PM treadmill session, and it was super duper hot and humid. It was just hard to move. I slowly knocked out the three miles. On Wednesday Chasen was gone, and I honestly do not remember doing that 3-miler in the evening, but according to my running log I did it. Hmm... I don't think I did it while Isaac was napping (on the treadmill, of course). It's a mystery! On Thursday, with Chasen still gone, I felt like Superwoman. I baked multiple cheesecakes, did lots of other tasks, had a head cold, and still managed to hit the treadmill once Isaac went to sleep. I couldn't start it until nearly 10 PM, and I was surprised to find that I did very, very well. I even ran in two-minute increments that time. Nice!

On Friday Chasen returned, and it was a good thing because it was his 36th birthday! He arrived about 1:30 PM, and we were ready for him.

RC Cola, Moon Pies, a Kindle and a homemade key lime cheesecake. Score one for me!!!

We were definitely ready to have him home. Isaac even said "Happy Daddy!" (minus 'birthday')

The best part of Chasen's birthday was watching "Despicable Me" with Isaac. At the very end he started to dance! You have GOT to love the lack of inhibition on the part of children. It was priceless!

Saturday brought my first outdoor run since the spring. Man oh man - I struggled through those four miles like nobody's business. It was warm and the sun was beating down on me. I ended up walking a great portion of it. Oh well - I've got to start somewhere.

All in all, it was a roller coaster of a week that ended with thirteen miles total. At the end of the day, I'm proud. Now bring on the autumn running!


Anonymous said...

I blame the cheesecakes! Twitter, Facebook, being-a-mommy, and cheesecakes. :)

Casey said...

I used to write thoughtful blogs before being a mom. Now, I just kinda type whatever I can before someone cries. The quality of my posts changed so much that I started a new blog. I'm on maternity leave right now with my 2nd, so my blogging is more regular. However, I'm sure that will change in just a few weeks! ha!

Heather said...

Hope you are doing well. Great to see you back in the blog world. =) You should add your cheesecakes to your blog. lol. They are amazing to looks at on FB. Wish I lived closer so I could order one.