Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Wait And See

I am a happy woman. My foot pain, which was constant, lasted for five solid days (Monday - Friday). Saturday came and it was gone. It has stayed away ever since, but I went to see the orthopaedic doctor anyway... just in case. I felt silly going in there with not a pain in the world, but I thought it best to tell him what exactly happened and how I felt, etc.

X-rays showed "a perfect foot." Well lah-te-dah! Then, the hilarious Dr. C walked in and our matching senses of humor took over. Mind you, others would probably find his manner today offensive, but I did not. I laughed so loud a nurse popped her head in to check on us.

Him: What do you have going on?
Me: I was out running, and... (interruption)
Him: How far?
Me: Eight miles.
Him: That's a long way.
Me: Not really. But after that my foot started hurting (I motioned where). It felt like someone was pinching it in there for five straight days, but not since then. I haven't run since then (eight days ago).
Him: So what does that tell you?
Me: Well, I know it was running related.
Him: Come on, Einstein, it hurt and then you stopped running. Hmm...
Me: I know - it's obvious.
Him: When do you want to go running next?
Me: If you say it's OK, I'll go fifteen minutes from now.
Him: What do you want to happen?
Me: I want you to tell me what caused this, and maybe how I can prevent it from happening again.
Him: People in hell want ice water. (insert huge, belly laugh) You irritated it somehow, and it may or may not come back. I'll give you a prescription for a stronger anti-inflammatory.
Me: But I don't want a 'band-aid', I want a cure.
Him: Well, that's not really an option. Take it for thirty days.

He left to go write it up, and I realized that I forgot to show him my six-year-old orthotics. I stepped out with one in my hand and a nurse said "WHAT IS THAT???" I told her. She asked if it worked, in disbelief. Um... yes. He popped out and said "Where did you get that, the Smithsonian?" Ha! He kills me! He recommended a local store, as opposed to a podiatrist, for custom orthotics. He said he'd rather I give my money to him. Ha!

Again, this totally worked for me. We are well matched. My hubby, however, found it offensive, as might you. Oh well - my foot, my doctor.

So now I will get back on the road and see what happens. I am still unsure about January 7th, but at least I am pain free for the time being and have the promise of being able to do what I love -- all with a funny story to go along with it.

2 comments:

Her Name Is Rio said...

"Smithsonian"- that is hilarious! Glad your foot is feeling better. Hopefully some new orthotics will help prevent future problems!

Nike said...

Ankle Strap Day Flat Ballet Flats Patent Ankle Belstaff Jackets Wrap Prom High D'Orsay Exotic Block Heel Work Medium Espadrilles Patent Leather Comfort Party Low Gladiator Glitter Belstaff Jackets Flats Evening Knee Boots PVC Open Toe Wedding Mary Jane Metallic Leather Platform Weekend Pumps Biker Leather Pointed Rosetta Stone Toe Transitional Sandal Metallic Suede Rounded Toe Slide Vintage Suede Slingback Spectator Coarse Suede Stiletto Heels Thigh Boots Satin Wedges Thong Jeweled T-Strap Embossed Leather