Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Thanksgiving in a Pot

If you know me personally, then you know that I love to cook. I love the "love" that is involved with providing a tasty, nutritious meal for my family. Recently a friend sent a highly recommended rosemary chicken recipe my way. Immediately I wanted to change some things about it, and boy did I get it right! I call it Thanksgiving in a Pot because it involves sweet potatoes and rosemary. Obviously you could easily use white potatoes and it would still be delicious.

Thanksgiving in a Pot
  • 3/4 pound sweet potatoes, cut into bite size pieces
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2-3 sprigs rosemary
  • 1 clove minced garlic
  • pinch of red pepper flakes
  • juice of two lemons (I use concentrate and eyeball it)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 chicken breasts
1. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into bite size pieces. Place them in water and bring to a boil.

2. Pile the salt, garlic, red pepper flakes, and rosemary leaves (save one sprig, though) on a cutting board. Using a sharp knife, mince and mash it all into a paste. Transfer to a small bowl and add the lemon juice and olive oil. Add the chicken and turn to coat each piece.

3. Heat some olive oil in a large skillet. Add the chicken pieces and let each side barely brown.
 
                                                           
I cut my boneless, skinless pieces in half.

4. Place the chicken into a Le Creuset type pot. (Mine is a bargain version.) Pour the sweet potatoes on top of it, as well as all of the drippings from the chicken skillet. Add the remaining sprig of rosemary, as well as some additional lemon juice (if you so desire).

Yep, just pile it all in there.

5. Bake, uncovered, at 450 degrees for 25-30 minutes. 

The finished product will make your kitchen smell like a holiday! 

 Here it is on a plate. My family adores it.

This dish is the definition of succulent: tender, juicy, tasty. The combination of lemon, red pepper, and rosemary is something to write home about!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

yum!

Anonymous said...

how done were the sweet potatoes? Wondering if I could do this in a crockpot?