Saturday, August 26, 2006

Run #7 - 8 Miles, then Birthday Cake



Today is my husband's birthday. This is a photo of the sailboat cake I made for him. The "sails" have coconut on them, one of his favorites, plus his initials. This is the perfect combination of his love for being on the water and my love for sweets. HA!

I just returned from my 8-mile longrun. This time I drove the path before attempting to run it. My test found it to be safe, populated and HILLY. I did the run in 1:46:15 for an average pace of 13:17. That's fine by me... but one day I want to be faster.

I have determined that I live in a very hilly area. It's no San Francisco, but I feel challenged every time I hit the streets. I have also determined that the best way to get to know a town is on foot. I really feel like I have been down nearly every street around here. I could work for the postal service! And I have discovered many businesses that I would have otherwise driven by (if ever) and not given a second thought. And don't forget the political candidate support signs... and dogs... and nice elderly people out on their front porches drinking their morning coffee...

Yesterday I tested my resting heart rate. That's an easy task if you have as desk job. All three times it was 59 beats per minute. I think that's good, but I'm going to have to do more research.

Today we will likely go on a nice, long hike for a birthday excursion. It's going to be a beautiful day... and the weather will be nice, too. :)

No comments: