Saturday, November 11, 2006

A Good Meal






Tonight I made what I consider to be a very health-conscious meal. As you can see, it is stir-fry and baked tilapia. For once I followed the serving suggestions on the packaging.

Stirfry:

1/3 cup + 2 Tbsp vegetable broth (clear), fat-free, low sodium
1 1/2 Tbsp stirfry sauce
2 1/2 tsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp honey (I used sugar free maple syrup because I was out of honey)
1 1/2 tsp soy sauce, low sodium
1 tsp rice vinegar, (may substitute white wine vinegar)
1/4 tsp salt
16 oz (4 cups) Mann's California Stir Fry (which I got in the "bagged vegetable" section of the grocery store)
1 Tbsp sesame oil (oops - I left this out)

Combine the first 7 ingredients in a bowl, whisk to blend; set aside. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large stir fry pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add Mann's California Stir Fry and stir for 1 minute. Add 2 tablespoons of broth and continue to stir fry for 4 minutes or until vegetables are just tender. Add broth mixture. Continue to stir until sauce thickens. www.veggiesmadeeasy.com

Tilapia:

I thawed frozen tilapia fillets. I then sprayed a baking dish with cooking spray. I put a little bit of the vegetable broth in the dish to try to combat the presumed fishy smell, which never came. I sprinkled the fillets with salt and garlic+herb seasoning and baked at 425 for 10 minutes. Yum!

And for dessert, Yum Yum Brownie Muffins! I got the recipe from the www.hungry-girl.com website. This is an excellent website. I subscribe to their daily e-mails, and they are always filled with great food info. Here is the recipe:

(1 Muffin, or 3 minis - 180 calories, 2.5g fat, 37 carbs, 2.5g, fiber, 2.5g protein - 3 WW points)

1 box devil's food cake mix

1 can solid pack pumpkin (15 oz.)

Directions: Mix the two ingredients together. Don't add anything else that may be mentioned on the box, such as eggs, oil, or water. The mixture will be very thick and you will be tempted to add in other things to make the batter smoother. DO NOT DO THIS AS IT WILL RUIN EVERYTHING! Place batter into muffin tins (or mini muffin tins) lined with paper, or sprayed with non-stick spray. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Makes 12 regular or 36 mini muffins.

The Hungry Girl is all about the pumpkin! This required some elbow grease in the stirring department, but if finally all got mixed up. It was very dense. I had high hopes for these muffins. Well guess what... they're super! Of course, I am a chocoholic. My better half, though, has more of an average passion for chocolate. He said they were PERFECT: "not too sweet, not too bitter." I was pleased. They're very gooey, which translates into heavenly for this hungry girl!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have read before that Pumpkin is a good substitute in some recipes... but I did notice that you put the picture of the brownie muffin, FIRST!
Subliminal, perhaps?

Tilapia looks great!