Saturday, November 25, 2006

LRM TR #16, A Birthday Dump Run


LRM Miles Trained To Date: 78

Well, I did it! I ran 12 miles to the county dump on my 32nd birthday! (oops - I meant to say Sweet Sixteenth...)

Here's how it all went down. Last night, after giving me my amazing early birthday presents, my husband insisted that I wake him up when I got up early to run. Normally that is not an easy task (and why should be it - it is Saturday, after all). After checking my e-mail and smiling upon receiving a few e-cards, I woke him up. He insisted that I open the remaining four presents. OK - that's an order I'll take!

I got a pair of Nike Dri-Fit running pants! And a matching jacket! And a white Dri-Fit tee! I did not know when I woke up that I was about to go running looking like Michael Jordan! AND I got a gorgeous pearl pendant necklace. OK - it is official - I am spoiled. I admit it.

I put on my new running duds, plus my Garmin and new fancy iPod and headed out. I forgot my Pria bar, but I suspected the hubby would be "tailing me" on the run. I told him an approximate time to be at "the dump."

It was 53 degrees outside, so I was a bit hesitant to wear the jacket on top of the tee (since I figured my body would soon feel like 73 degrees). Well, what I didn't know was that it was misting rain (not too badly) and super foggy out there. SO I was thankful for the jacket and ended up keeping it on the whole time. As for my health, I woke up feeling much better (thanks to sleeping with a humidifier in the room, I think, plus positive thinking - ha!) The fog was actually a good thing, by my estimation, because I wasn't able to see the hills looming ahead. And there weren't many cars on the road.

I just have to say that this run was the BEST distance run I have ever completed. EVER. It was effortless up until the very end. My times were great, if I may brag. I ran, technically, through three towns: Benton, Bryant, Bauxite - the three B's of Saline County.

It took about seven miles to get into Bryant. I spotted my husband in mile 8. He would wave and then drive on ahead to another waiting spot and read. I declined all food and extra water (my bottle still had some in it). At about mile 10 I came into Bauxite, home of the dump. I was ready to get there! As luck would have it, the Garmin clicked on mile 12 as I was turning into the entrance to the dump. Hallelujah! He took my photo with his camera phone. I cooled down, ate two bananas, drink tons more, and we drove home. He commented that my running looked "effortless." Wow! Thank you!

This day has been PERFECT. I got to run (the best run ever, as I said), got amazing presents, and am getting to spend time with my amazing husband. It looks like my 32nd year is starting off with a bang.

Mile 1: 11:44
Mile 2: 12:12
Mile 3: 11:47
Mile 4: 11:24
Mile 5: 11:22
Mile 6: 11:43
Mile 7: 11:45
Mile 8: 12:28
Mile 9: 12:30
Mile 10: 11:08
Mile 11: 12:45
Mile 12: 12:32
Total: 2:23:26
Average: 11:57 per mile

And now I am official member of the Dump Runner's Club! www.dumprunnersclub.com

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow susan! congratulations on a fantastic run and a wonderful start to your birthday!

MarathonChris said...

Hooray!!! Congrats on your dump run and glad you had a great birthday. Sounds like a marvelous day all around!

MarathonChris said...

BTW, how does one become a member of the dumprunner's club - find a local dump and run to it?

Susan said...

Wow, you look great in that pic, and Happy Belated Birthday!!!!

CewTwo said...

Susan, You are a source of canstant amazement to me. I run (a lot) but I am always amazed at your support and personal ambition to acheive. Congratulations!

Unknown said...

Happy Belated Birthday... what a great run you had. Man, did you score on all the loot!