Sunday, December 31, 2006

LRM TR #34, Doggone Longrun

LRM Miles Trained To Date: 211

Today I was to run an 18 mile longrun. I got up pretty early, but didn't get out until a little after 9 AM. It was 45 degrees and I was ready in some of my new running duds. My course was to be a big loop. The first two miles were through part of downtown while the second two miles were through a residential area. Around mile 5 I crossed back over the interstate to head out to Salem, my new favorite running area. En route to Salem I ran through a really nice neighborhood. I saw a dog way down ahead of me. I thought "Oh no, here we go again." But I had high hopes since a) this was "the city," and b) there was just one. When I got up to it, I discovered that it was a friendly chocolate lab (for a change!) and it actually started to run alongside me. No harm, so I just let it happen. As I exited that neighborhood, the dog stayed with me. Even though I told it to go home (I did try!) it stayed with me for at least three miles.

I should mention that prior to the dog joining me, I was not feeling good about the run. I was just feeling "off," you might say. It was not my day. I was seriously considering calling my husband, who was planning to meet me later on the course, and telling him to hurry up because I needed some encouragement.

As I turned onto one particularly busy road, I began to fear for the dog's safety. Previously my opinion had been "this dumb dog is following me, but at least he's safe out here... I wish he'd go home." So, in front of a volunteer fire station not far from where I was supposed to meet my husband, I forced the dog to let me see his collar. His name was Spencer. I called the number (handy cel phone in my pocket really helped out today!) and you won't believe it. I swear - Arkansas is the smallest state ever. The voice on the machine was that of a new friend, Mandy, from the philanthropic group I now belong to. All of a sudden the dog matter got much more serious. It's a whole new ballgame when you know the dog's owner. Even though I shouldn't have, I felt slightly responsible for the dog following me. I mean, I didn't ask him to do so, but he did... and he was Mandy's dog... so I left a message telling her the scoop and that my husband was about to meet me, etc. I left my number.

The next thing I knew, Spencer had disappeared. Poof! No dog. Now I was worried. I had already made the call! I was willing my husband to drive faster at this point. We had to find the dog now. I had already made the call! Ugh! So when he arrived (at mile 10.49) we drove all over the area, but no Spencer. I thought all I could do was just finish my run and hope for the best.

I now know just how dependent I have gotten on the spousal support through these grueling longruns. He was really there for me today, encouraging me every step of the way. I even had to stop for about 2-3 massages along the course. We've gotten better at it; it looks far less obscene now. (HA! See previous post from 20 mile longrun.)

It was super difficult.. but I finished the 18 mile longrun. And when I did, I literally just dropped in the grass of the church parking lot where I always start and stop. I was spent. And oh poor Spencer! Here are my SLOW times:

Mile 1: 11:45
Mile 2: 12:04
Mile 3: 13:14
Mile 4: 13:52
Mile 5: 13:32
Mile 6: 16:56
Mile 7: 12:33
Mile 8: 13:32
Mile 9: 13:59
Mile 10: 14:22
Mile 11: 13:34
Mile 12: 13:09
Mile 13: 15:26
Mile 14: 14:08
Mile 15: 16:31
Mile 16: 14:53
Mile 17: 13:16
Mile 18: 12:31
Total: 4:09:27
Average: 13:52 per mile

It was slow, but it is DONE. When I was showering afterwards, I received a voicemail from Mandy. She apologized profusely for the inconvenience (sweet, sweet girl) and said that she and her husband were going to go look for Spencer. He had apparently jumped their fence when her husband had let him out for a split second before they left for church. That was her best bet as to how it happened.

It is now late in the evening. My husband and I have just returned from a decadent seafood meal, and I can't reach Mandy. I hope they found Spencer! I will update when I know.

Have a safe New Year's Eve. We are in for the evening.

3 comments:

Bill Williamson said...

Happy New Year! Keep up the great work!!

Unknown said...

Take Spencer running with you as a blessing. Happy go lucky to run with you, but you now know how you handle yourself when there are other things besides running happening while you are running. You weren't concerned about your running as the most important thing, you managed to get the stuff that needed to be done as well.

Just remember that you are going to have plenty of support on the course from seeing your hubby to the other runners and the spectator's energy. focus on running consistent and you will do fine. Your doing excellent keeping up with your runs, so keep it that way!

I had meant to mention this on your last long run entry and that you might not be eating enough often enough. It was something that crossed my mind and I had wanted to mention it before your next long run...

Great Job and Happy New Year!

MarathonChris said...

Way to go on the 18 miler!!!! Sometimes the most important part of the training is working the gumption to hang in there.