Friday, December 01, 2006


These are my running shoes: (L-R) past, present, future. While organizing my closet I discovered that my old shoes (pictured far left) had each outside heel worn way down. Then I checked my current shoes (middle) and discovered the same thing. Well I'll be!

The old shoes got retired with 415 miles on them, and I was trying to wait until the current shoes had at least 300 miles on them before switching to the new ones. Right now the middle shoes have only 283 miles on them (that's right, only 283 miles). Seeing the "deformation" on them makes me think that I'll go ahead and retire them after tomorrow's longrun. Come Monday, it's new shoes time!

2 comments:

Zen Runner said...

From the look of them your inside heel ware looks very familiar to me, and me thinks you are a "heel striker"! My running shop put me in the same Mizuno shoes so either it's a conspiracy or they know what they are talking about! Happy trails.

Unknown said...

WOAH WOAH WOAH!!!!

You are going to need to change your shoes more often. You are a heel striker like me. When the edges get worn down like that, there are some risks involved. One, the distance that your leg has to stretch is a little longer, it can lead you to over straining your hamstring. Two, Since you are landing on that corner, you wear out the padding faster and so as the shoes age, they have even less padding faster than normal. This might be "okay" for shorter slower runs, but since you are doing longer runs and also some speedwork, you need the extra cushioning or else you'll be hurting down the road.

The 300 miles is a rule of thumb, some runners with great biomechanics can get 500-600 miles out of their shoes, as long as they replace the insert. If I get a pair of shoes to last 200 miles, I am very happy. Typically at about 125-150, I have worn down the corner to expose the foam.

Keep a closer look at these new shoes...