Wednesday, January 03, 2007

LRM TR #36, Happy Happy Joy Joy!

LRM Miles Trained To Date: 218

36 degrees never felt better! Today I was "on," as my running coworker says. Maybe it had to do with me forcing myself to go to bed about 15-30 minutes earlier. I don't know... but I do know that I woke up before my alarm and was ready to get out there.

I was to do a 3 mile velocity run (trying to simulate a race). The first mile was so-so. I was moving, but not at warp speed. The second mile got better. At about mile 2.5 I glanced at my Garmin and recognized that I had a good chance of having a pretty good time, so I really tried to kick it into overdrive. It was successful and I am now flying high!

Mile 1: 11:25 (not too shabby)
Mile 2: 11:11 (getting there)
Mile 3: 9:45 (wowee!!!!)
Total: 32:24 bring on the next 5K!
Average: 10:48 per mile

After I run the Little Rock Marathon (8.5 weeks from now - yowsa!) and then take some weeks off, my next goal is to run a faster (than last time) 5K race. So far, tackling long distances has been challenging at times, yet extremely enjoyable. I think tackling speed will be the ultimate challenge for me! Not that running 22 miles this Saturday will be a walk in the park... or, should I say, a run down Highway 67...

I also intend to volunteer at a race sometime this spring.

Have a great day! Mine is off to a fantastic start.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent work! What a way to start the day!

MarathonChris said...

Very nice run!!! You are booking! A 22 miler this weekend - wow. I will be thinking of you on Saturday. My non-expert advice: Get lots of rest on Thurs and Fri nights, hydrate, and practice your race nutrition - gels, bars or whatever your poison!! Then just kick back and enjoy the run.

I highly recommend the ice bath afterwards. If you can't do ice, try a cold water bath - wear a warm shirt, have hubby bring you a warm drink, and soak those legs!!

Just 8 weeks!!