Wednesday, February 21, 2007

LRM TR #58, 4 Misty Miles

LRM Miles Trained To Date: 396

Days Until First Marathon: 10

After only 5 minutes of snoozing this morning, I got up to receive the great news that the outside temperature was in the 50's. In fact, the high today will be in the 70's. I'm wearing short sleeves in February! So off I went on a new (yes, with 10 days to go) 4 mile course. It was a bit hilly, but no big deal. It was ever-so-slightly misting rain. It almost felt more like humidity. I was trying to go slow and steady. I had much on my mind and was enjoying being out there. To my surprise, the last mile was done much quicker than the rest. You'll see.

Mile 1: 12:31
Mile 2: 12:29
Mile 3: 12:30
Mile 4: 11:46
Total: 49:18
Average: 12:20 per mile, 170 beats per minute

My heartrate was awfully high for such slow splits... who knows why. Maybe my active mind increased it! Today was my LAST 4-mile run... from tomorrow on, as short runs go, they're all 3-milers. Eek! Maybe I'll sleep in!!!

I have found out about the pace groups for the Little Rock Marathon. The "slowest" one is the 5:30 group. I think I shall aim to join those folks! I'd appreciate all feedback about following a pacer - help!

5 comments:

Kevin said...

Susan,
Thanks for the sweet comments on my blog! Now you will have yet another fan sitting on pins and needles on March 4th!
Hang in there and I'll be thinking of you!

Kevin

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how close it is and how far you've come! Way to go!

Unknown said...

Following a pacer tips:
1) your pacer may not find the right pace on race day, don't give in to running too fast or too slow just because their an "official" pacer

2) If you fall behind your pace group, don't let the psychological effect of "now, I am slower than my pace group" affect you.

Remember Pace groups are only a "suggestion", there is no guarantee that they will be on-pace, finish at the right time or the even the pacer not hit the wall before the end of the race.

However, they are very useful in the first 5 miles or so because they will keep you from going out too fast, which is probably the number 1 reason of poor finishes. Plus it gives you instant friends and people to talk to through the race which can help with motivation.

10 days.... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaa

Maddy said...

You're Central Time right? I will be sending good, fast thoughts your way on the 4th.

I'm very excited for you.

It's so close!

MarathonChris said...

You know my story and the 5:30 pace group. Our pace leader was great...I wish I could have stayed with them. But Terry is absolutely right. They keep you slower early on and if you lose them you shouldn't try to catch them. At the health and fitness expo the pace group has a table - you can get an armband that has the split times for that pace - so when you hit the various mile markers you will know where you are relative to where that pace group is.