Tuesday, February 27, 2007

LRM TR #62, Final Training Run!

LRM Miles Trained To Date: 413 wow!

Days Until First Marathon: 4

Well well well! I did something unique, at least to my marathon training. Tomorrow was to be my FINAL training run. [I can't believe I just typed that!] But, this time every year an amazing thing happens. Almost every town in Arkansas hosts a "Women Can Run" clinic (http://www.womenrunarkansas.racesonline.com/). It is designed to take anyone from the sedentary to those who have run a little bit and advance them. There were all types there: from high schoolers to moms pushing jogging strollers to grandmas. It is a great thing.

The clinic spans 12 weeks and culminates in a 5K race. It's a great way to see people really progress! I did it last year with my friend, Kim. I was coming back from an injury and she was beginning to run, so it was perfect for both of us. It meets twice per week. It is a great way for she and I to spend time together. So today was our day #1. We ran my final three miles and enjoyed every step of it.

Mile 1: 12:34
Mile 2: 12:41
Mile 3: 12:13
Total: 37:29
Average: 12:30 per mile, 149 beats per minute (and we talked the whole time)

About three weeks ago, Kim decided to run the half-marathon at the Little Rock Marathon. She has gone from running three miles only to now having done a 10-miler. She said she was inspired by me. Awwwww! My advice to her was "just be careful" and "listen to your body."

2 comments:

Susan said...

You know...you really are an inspiration!

I believe you will do fabulously on Sunday! You go girl!!

MarathonChris said...

Wow, your FINAL training run!!!! And a very nice easy run at that.

You are ready to "rock" the Little Rock Marathon! Now your focus is lots of rest, good hydration and good food! Stick with what has worked so well in your training :-)

I can't wait to see how you do!