Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Observations

Days Until First Marathon: 3

I have been thinking today about how training for a marathon (plus just running in general) has changed my life. Here are some of my observations:

Whilst I am a huge fan of sleeping, I find that I have more energy day-to-day. My workdays no longer find me wishing I could be somewhere napping.

Within a minute or two of meeting someone new, there is always something to talk about. It makes for instant conversation. If they are a fellow runner, it's a no-brainer. If they are not, they want to hear all about it. It is a win-win situation.

I spend more time reading. Previously, I pretty much stuck to my book club assignments. Now, I hurry through those so I can get back to whatever running book I have at the time.

I have learned more about nutrition with regards to listening to my body and what it needs to achieve something or to recover from something. Rarely are we just resting!

Compliments (about my level of fitness and sometimes about my physique) have not stopped since I began training for half-marathons and now the marathon. That'll put a smile on a girl's face!

I have "met" so many online running pals through their blogs and podcasts. I feel that I am part of a huge community and I feel very supported.

I have learned that the journey is far more important than the destination. I have enjoyed all of my marathon training. So whatever happens in the race is just a bonus because I have 18+ weeks of good memories already.

Thanks to following my training schedule to the letter, THANK YOU COACH TERRY, I am approaching the starting line injury free. Following the rules really pays off!

_____________________

Now for a question: the weather on marathon day is supposed to reach 55 degrees and be fairly sunny. It will likely be mid-40's when I start. Shorts or lightweight running pants? Help!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank You and You're Welcome! I am REALLY excited about Sunday too!

Question: Would you wear pants if it was 55F?

My personal answer: Shorts. If the coolness was going to be a factor, wear gloves. Use the gloves to regulate your temperature. You can take gloves off and put them back on while running... pants (unless you are really talented) require stopping altogether.

CewTwo said...

Susan, you are an inspiration!

PS - Plenty of time to sew a pair of pants with hook and loop enclosures on the side seams! If you do though, remember to wear the shorts underneath...

MarathonChris said...

I love the journey - so much happens over the timespan spent training for a marathon. The race is just the icing! You have come such a long way - and have done so well!!

Hmmmm, if it were me I would wear shorts with a long sleeve running shirt. I agree with Terry on the gloves. A running hat would do well also.

If you have to be in your corral for the race early, you could bring a garbage bag to wrap around your legs until the race starts. You could also bring an old sweatshirt to wear over your running gear that you can toss after the race starts. Or course, you probably already knew that!

Maddy said...

I would wear shorts. You may be uncomfortable for a little while, but you will warm up quickly. You can wear disposable or removable layers.

I am looking forward to the full report!