Sunday, March 25, 2007

SF10 TR #5, A Plea For Help

SF10 Miles Trained To Date: 23.75

It is official - I have lost my running mojo. Today was worse than yesterday. I did all of the right things today, though. I got up and had my textbook perfect pre-running routine. I headed out, telling myself that today was a better day. I had pre-set my Garmin to the "Training Assistant" mode and it was to beep at me when I was too slow. Mistake number one!

Mile 1 was OK. Although I was terribly angry each time the Garmin beeped and flashed the "Speed Up" message. Grr! I wanted to hit it with a sledgehammer! I am not a smooth paced machine! But my averages are generally OK. Mile 2 was OK, also, but the same drill. As I started Mile 3, I contemplated making this a 6-mile day. The next thing you know, I was headed home at the 3-mile point. I just didn't have it in me. My mental capacity was sub-par. I actually stopped running at mile 3.43 (I couldn't even make it to 3.5) and walked, slowly, home with the Garmin (Mr. Beepy!) off. I sent my husband a text message that said "I quit." How sad.

I got home and we talked about it. He thinks I have had too much on my mind with the robbery and all, and maybe I need to ease back into it all a bit slower, or at least with fewer miles. He might be right. I just know that I used to really, really look forward to every run - long runs especially. Granted, some shorter runs were labors of love, but my heart was always in it. At this point I just feel defeated. I figure I should just scrap all efforts until Wednesday's tempo run. But I am not sure. I don't want to lose what I have built up... but I also do not want to continue to cut runs short and feel badly.

Help!

Mile 1: 11:24
Mile 2: 11:29
Mile 3: 11:03
Mile 3.43: 4:59
Total: 38:59
Average: 11:21 per mile, 170 beats per minute

See - that had the making of a great, speedy run. It was not a lack of physical ability. It was a lack of mental ability. Friends, some words of wisdom would be much appreciated.

9 comments:

Maddy said...

Oh no! You're in a funk...

Has this ever happened to you before? Mine lasted a week and a half or two weeks.

Run what you can. Don't let it get you down... Chasen was right, you have had a lot going on...

This a just speed bump on the way to Soldier Field...

Maybe you'll feel better when Sanjaya finally gets the boot? (Is that what you were hurrying home to watch?) ;-)

Much love to you! You'll get through it.

Anonymous said...

In my extremely limited experience, distance running is a combination of the physical and mental and if either is off, you will suffer!

Today wasn't your day, but it doesn't mean you're in a funk - it just means you take it easy until Wednesday if that's what you think is best.

Also, don't worry about what you'll lose - with yesterday and today you're at 9.43 miles for the weekend -- not too shabby for Week #1 (or is it #2?)!!!

MarathonChris said...

I echo what Maddy and Katie said. It could be just one bad day (or maybe a few). If you look back over your training, you had them then too. Chasen is right, you have had a lot on your mind lately.

If you take a couple of days off, you won't lose all that great conditioning you have built up.

For encouragement, go back through your old blog entries and look how far you have come!! That should get you excited.

There is always the marathon blues. You didn't take much of a break after the marathon and then started right into planning your next race (hmmm, sounds strangely familiar).

Hang in there!!! We are all right here for you and will be sending good running vibes your way!!!

Irish Blue said...

The running mojo ebbs and flows. It will flow again...hang in there.

Unknown said...

Take a day off...

Your next run day, ditch the watch and the garmin and just go out and run around for a few miles. No specific workout, no specific distance... Go see the sights!

Kevin said...

Susan,
I agree with everything all these smart people say! Mostly because they are SO much smarter than I am! Don't throw the baby out with the bath water! LOL.. Get it? Baby? Sorry.. I get funnier as the day goes on and it's early.

All I would add, and you can tell all these people are saying this also, is

*HUG*

There. All better. Things will improve. I promise.

ShirleyPerly said...

Running, like pretty much everything else in life, goes in cycles. You have had a lot going on in your life that may be affecting you. I also think that perhaps this training program may be a little too much so soon after your marathon and also with robbery incident still fresh in your mind.

Personally, I think taking a break would probably be a good idea, as Chris suggested. Perhaps try doing something else instead? Unless you go more than 2 weeks w/o running or doing anything physical, I doubt you will lose much fitness.

Dawn said...

Hang in there, dear friend. Your mojo will return in no time. You need to not be so hard on yourself and realize that maybe you just need a bit of a break! Try a different activity for a few days just until you get over the funk. I think I have to agree with Maddy.. I think the whole world will fee better when Sanjaya gets the boot.
You will triumph over this minor funk - you have conquered much greater..

HS Matt said...

Find your mojo at the dump