Tuesday, March 27, 2007

What Running Has Taught Me

In correspondence with an out-of-town girlfriend today (i.e. someone I rarely see), I told her that running had revealed certain truths to me. When she inquired as to what they were, these came to the forefront of my mind:

1) I am more goal oriented that I thought of myself a few years ago. Doing something "just to do it" is not for me.

2) ANYTHING in life can be accomplished with a PLAN and a POSITIVE ATTITUDE.

3) There is NO NEED to keep anything, or anyone, in your life that does not uplift you and contribute to the greater good. Life is far too short to surround oneself with negative energy.

4) Short term tolerance for the betterment of the long term in crucial.

5) If you share your goals and passions with others, chances are that one of them shares your goal and amazing new bonds can be made.

6) I, alone, can accomplish anything I set my mind to. It does not always take a village!

7) Sometimes breaks are necessary to keep us moving forward in life. (This applies to me RIGHT NOW.)

8) With my husband's support, I can do anything - and even better than all alone.

9) Often people speed through life without taking the opportunity to enjoy their surroundings. Since becoming a distance runner I now know a whole lot more about my town.

10) I respect ALL athletes. It takes a lot of dedication and determination to be an athlete.

Not bad, huh! And these were all formulated in spite of the mental funk that has engrossed me. I plan to kick the funk in the rear!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is an inspirational list! Thanks for sharing!

You will overcome the funk - you are in charge!

Dawn said...

Kick that funk! You can do it! Thanks for putting my blog and Elijah's site on your favorites!!!

CewTwo said...

Well said! It looks to me like you are squaring off iwth that funk right now!

Maddy said...

That is a great list!

I can see the fog lifting from here.

Goodbye Funk!

MarathonChris said...

What a great list! And a great way to work toward kicking that funk in the butt!!!

Thanks for sharing :-)

Unknown said...

I'd love to see them on a poster!

ShirleyPerly said...

Excellent post! Many of these are what I've discovered as well and I couldn't have said it any better.

mrjwhit~ said...

Great list. I've embraced many of these on my own.