Sunday, May 13, 2007

Friends and a Plan

Well I have a lot to say! First the good news.

CONGRATULATIONS to Charlie for completing his first road race! Yesterday he ran the 26th Annual Highline Canal Run (the 5K portion) close to his home in Colorado. He prepared an excellent race report for us all to read. And, like me, he even had an "official photographer" on hand. I love it! Congratulations, friend!

Through some blog link / comment reading / plain-ole-good-fortune, I have been introduced to my newest online running friend. Lisa is a fellow runner in New York City. Today she completed the Junior League 10 Mile Run in Central Park, and she even ran it in her goal time! So go check out her race report, also.

Now on to the reality of my situation. Grr! As you know, I "took sick" on Tuesday (that would be six days of illness now...) and have had ups and downs. I have not run since Monday after work. I really thought I was getting better towards the end of the week. I thought I merely had a head cold, but gosh it felt bad. And I am a firm believer that, as colds go, with medicine they go away in a week; without medicine they go away in seven days... so I usually do not medicate a cold. I just let nature run its course. Well, this cold is ruining my running! So today (!!!) while going out to replace some of the robbery items (see post from 3/21) I was describing my symptoms to my husband who grew up as a very, very allergic kid, he proclaimed that I MUST be having a sinus cold due to allergies. Allergies!?! I've never had an allergy in my life! When we got home he directed me to some previously-purchased 24-hour allergy tablets, whose box listed every single symptom I have. So I have taken today's tablet and am waiting for a miracle recovery within 24 hours. THEN, my friends, I'll be back on the road. Until then, though, could someone drill a tiny hole in my head to relieve some of this pressure? Also, I have said all day "If I could just take out my eyeballs and sit them in a bowl of cool water, I'd feel better." LOL!

6 comments:

Irish Blue said...

I never had allergies either until about 5 years ago. I have to take allergy medicine all spring. Hope you are feeling better and back on the road soon.

Petraruns said...

Dear Susan,
I know - it's awful when you can't get out on the road! But hopefully you've found the source of your illness now and will be back in the land of the running shortly.. Allergy triggers can emerge and be different in different years, depending on the weather etc.. So this may not last forever. Good luck and looking forward to your next run report..

ShirleyPerly said...

Hopefully knowing what it is and taking some of the right medications will help. I too have never had allergies as a kid and I keep hearing that I might get them later in life (oh, great). The smoke in our area was making me sick last week. No pill for that!

nylisa said...

Hey Susan! Thanks for the linkage! It's always a good thing to connect with those who are positive about running! Hopefully the Claritin works for you, and you'll be allergy-free by race time!

Maddy said...

I hope the allergey meds work wonders for you. My kids take Claritin during oak pollen season (and if they are going to be around cats)

As Shirley mentioned we have been dealing with some crazy smoke - That could be an instant migriane inducer. Yuck

Get better and get running!

CewTwo said...

Keep us posted! I know how I love to run. I do miss it so when I cannot or should not.

Thanks for another "High Five" Susan! I appreciate it!

Charlie