Thursday, June 14, 2007

Speed vs. Distance - No Contest

Why do I choose to run short races, like the 5K or 10K or even a 2-mile race? It's because they are challenging for me - extremely challenging. I won't say that I hate them, but they certainly stress me. That's because I am not comfortable trying to go fast. I'm more of a turtle than a hare... and those races point out that fact! Nonetheless, I am a runner, and that means that I want to improve myself... constantly.

In fact, the shorter races help to affirm that my true love is distance running. I think it's the ole "absence makes the heart grow fonder" phenomenon. So thank you, upcoming Brickfest 5K, for confirming that marathoning is for me!

3 comments:

CewTwo said...

I tend to like longer distances, as well. I ran the 5K race. It was fun, but I don't think I felt that challenged. When I do the longer runs, I feel more like a Zen runner. I can feel comfortable, set the cruise control and run.

I have not attempted a marathon distance as of yet, so I don't know how I feel about that. But for right now I am so looking forward to a half-marathon in the near future!

MarathonChris said...

Now listen to yourself. You must be a distance runner when you are running "only a 5K." That is over 3 miles. Remember when you couldn't run that far? Most of the folks you probably talk to would collapse at 3 miles or sooner.

It is a different race, that is certainly true. Instead of running it slow to conserve for later, you push it a bit more because it is over in about 30 minutes (for folks like us anyway). Think of it as 3 miles of speed work!

And everything about marathoning - from training to the race - is so different from 5K stuff! The only thing they have in common is that you are running (IMHO).

Maddy said...

To start, Thank you for your donation!

Susan = Rockstar!

Try to have fun with the shorter races. You will improve.