Saturday, July 21, 2007

RFE TR #4, Arkansas Runner 2M

Total Miles Trained For Elijah: 22

Some days do not turn out the way you plan. Even when you have them planned for months. Today I planned to run 2 miles to the race course, find Chasen, us both run the race, then run 4 more miles for a total of 8 miles trained today.

Yesterday we got the unexpected, yet delightful, news that two of Chasen's guy friends from out-of-state were going to come into town either last night or today. As it turned out, it was last night. What's even better is that one of them brought his wife! Yay! When they all arrived late last night, I was in bed asleep preparing for today. The men proceeded to stay up very, very late talking and such (and by such I mean consuming adult beverages! ha!) so I knew I'd probably be running the race alone. No big deal.

I got up early, ate my breakfast, showered (as I do for races! but not normally for Saturday training runs) and proceeded to head to the town courthouse, home of the race bibs and t-shirts. It is exactly 1.5 miles over there, so I ran a quarter mile more and then stopped to get my shirt. I ran into an old friend, Leslie, who is a member of the running group I used to belong to, and her 7-year-old daughter, Savannah. They were going to be mother-daughter running duo (which is my dream, by the way).

I ran my final quarter mile and reset the Garmin. Everyone was lining up, so I guess I timed it right. I'd estimate less than 200 participants, but time will tell. As we began running I noticed that the people were just flying! I tried to slow it down. OH - and because I was husbandless (i.e. vehicleless) I had to carry my race shirt with me. It actually worked out great as a sweat rag!

I did my first mile in 9:29. Whoa, Nelly! I took more walking breaks during the second mile, as I was very aware that I had 4 more miles to do after this was all over. I was drafting among the same crowd the whole time. At the final turn onto Market Street, the finish line was less than a quarter mile away. I started huffing as fast as I could. I clocked (per the Garmin) 10:35 for the second and final mile, so my Garmin total was 20:05. Wow! Last year was 21:35, I believe. Wow! From turtle to hare! Well sort of... at least give me that!

As I had my race info removed from the bib, I proceeded to find a spot to perch for Leslie and Savannah's big finish. I was right by the finish line, so I got to cheer them in. It was very cute!

After half a banana and a fresh bottle of water, I proceeded to start my next 4 miles. I was immediately hit with belly pain. I had to walk a bunch. Once I made it to one mile I sat down for a bit. The belly pain finally went away. I ran past the airport, crossed the interstate overpass, meandered by the local elementary school in my neighborhood, and entered my neighborhood on the west side and had to go up Hell Hill. I did it! I commanded that hill! I am proud; my average split was 12:26 getting home, which is good enough for a longrun.

As I entered my home at 9 AM, the sleepyheads were still fast asleep, which made me feel like the military slogan "do more by 9 AM than most people do all day." Ha! They are up now, at least a few of them, so I will soon find out what the day holds. One thing is for sure; mine will be excellent.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for you! I am one of the sleepyheads who just got out of bed myself - I must be well rested for my 12 miler tomorrow!

Great job!

nylisa said...

Sounds like you had a good run before, during and after! Kudos for commanding that hill! Awesome report!

Dawn said...

Yay Susan! I know you must have been so proud of your improved time! Way to go! Hope you have had a wonderful weekend!

Maddy said...

Way to go! You dropped your time by a minute and a half!

I assume this is a new PR.

w00t w00t!

MarathonChris said...

Congrats on a great race and great run!!! I love it when a plan comes together!