Saturday, July 28, 2007

RFE TR #8

Total Miles Trained For Elijah: 48


What a day! Here are the facts:
1. I love to run.
2. I hate running in the heat.
3. Humidity does not help.


Due to my struggles this week, Coach reduced my longrun today from 11 to 9 miles. I made the unfortunate mistake of not getting out there before dawn. I did not begin running until about 9:45 AM. The first 3 miles were good... but I felt like I was beginning to melt. It was like I was inside an oven. Nasty, nasty, nasty. I was dripping sweat. I told myself I'd turn around at about mile 3.17 and run home, thus doing the final miles in my mostly-shaded neighborhood. That did not happen. It was just so hot! I stopped at 4.5 and walked the rest of the way. I didn't know how I would accomplish the remaining 4.5 miles, and I hated the idea of braking up a longrun... but I really felt like I'd just melt into the asphalt. How on earth did I do this last summer?


Those 4.5 miles were accomplished in 53:10, an 11:49 pace. Not terrible... but technically a DNF. I got home and was immediately thankful for air conditioning. I contemplated going right back out there... but that would have been just plain dumb. I actually took a nap in my disgusting running attire - for three hours.


Now fast forward to late afternoon when Chasen got home. After about an hour, he went out to get the mail. He assured me that it was WAY TOO HOT to go out right then. Well guess what I got in the mail?

A trophy from the Arkansas Runner 2 Mile Race last Saturday! Who knew?!? I thought I remembered them only giving awards 3 deep in each age group, so I didn't bother to stay after the race (I had 4 more miles to run, as you'll recall). As it turns out, I was 5th of 12 in my age group. A note accompanied this 2" x 3" wonder that said due to an oversight on their part, these awards were not given out immediately following the race. And Chasen pointed out that both times I have placed in my age group, he has not been present. Hmm....

Man oh man! This really put a spring in my step! AND my new Runner's World arrived today, so I was on cloud nine. Did everyone see our guy Steve Runner in this issue?

Chasen went to get us some Mexican food. After letting mine settle for a good hour and a half, I headed back out there with a vengeance. This time I planned to stay in my neighborhood, as monotonous as it might be. I stopped at home every lap to put new ice cubes in my water bottle. It was still wicked hot out there... but somehow not quite as bad as it had been earlier in the direct sunshine. This final 4.5 miles were done in 56:55, a 12:39 pace.

I really think that I'm going to have to start getting out there before the sun rises. Oh my!

9 comments:

Dawn said...

Way to go Susan!

MarathonChris said...

I feel your pain, Susan! Both the "I feel like I am going to melt" AND the "I don't know how I did this last summer" feeling. What you DID accomplish is that you hung in there and finished your run!!!! Well done!

Maddy said...

Great job!

You're a tough one! I'm glad you got it all in!

w00t!

Nicole said...

Hi I like reading your blog. I really admire your determination to go back out there running!

nylisa said...

Glad you pulled through! I'm gonna try the ice cubes thing. I felt the nagging humidity today and cut my run short.

Lewis said...

Great job getting it done. I just got my runner's world yesterday and I am a big fan of Steve Runner so I will have to check it out.

I like you eventually when doing some long runs had to get up early in the morning sometimes too. I live in Hampton, VA and it gets hot and humid here also.

The other big thing is to realize how much the heat hits you. I run with a Heart Rate monitor --normally at lunch during the week. One year it had been in the 90s for a while then a week later same course same HR but 70 degrees -- 45 to 60 second per mile faster. The HR monitor is great for making you stick to an easy run and to show that you are working harder in the heat.

Hope you get some heat relief soon

Anonymous said...

I was going to tell you about the Steve Runner thing, but I see there is no need!

Great work!

Maddy said...

Silly me...

Congratulations on placing in your age group.

You Rock!!!!!!!!

CewTwo said...

What a great surprise to get in the mail.

Heat was my thing this weekend. It made it very difficult to motivate.

I was going to ask you if you had seen the Steve Walker thing in Runner's World!