Monday, August 20, 2007

Mandatory Downtime

Finally, it has happened. I have missed a longrun.

On Friday, shortly after lunch, I began feeling sick. By Saturday morning I knew something was awry. I intended to wait it out and hopefully be able to do my longrun on Sunday. By late afternoon, I begrudgingly did what was necessary: I made a beeline for the grocery store pharmacy area and got advice on which medicine to take. It had not done its duty by Sunday morning (my second 3:30 AM attempt to get out on the road!) so I again went back to sleep. By noon on Sunday I was on the mend, and I continue to get back to normal. I didn't run this morning, either: I want to be 100% when I get back out there.

I think I have learned something. Each time I get sick (which is rare, thankfully) it is at a time when I am going "90 to nothing" and need a break. So I guess this was my body's way to force me to get some rest. I lounged around all weekend, only leaving the house one time. I got caught up with Runner's World (which I had been too busy to read! ugh!!!!) As I have written lately, I have just been exhausted lately. No more!

I am proud that I took some wonderful advice: "never underestimate the power of rest."

4 comments:

ShirleyPerly said...

Susan, I applaud you for not beating yourself about missing a run when you were sick. That advice is really true, especially for marathoners.

Hope you get better soon. Keep running smart!!

MarathonChris said...

I agree with Shirley - sometimes you just need the break. Get your body strong - you will go out there and knock 'em dead!

Maddy said...

I'm glad you're on the mend. I'm happy that you listened to what your body was telling you. It can be hard to do that.

Now when you're back on the road, you will be stronger for it.

CewTwo said...

I agree with everyone else. It was your body saying to take a break!