Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Reflections

It has been a good year, hasn't it? I already have nine races under my belt this year, with a fun 5K to go. I am going to allow myself to not complete the Tinkoff 1000. I have contemplated this decision for quite some time. In order to make 1000 miles this year, I'd have to run hard in December, and I am just not willing to do that to my ankle, hamstrings, etc. They deserve to rest up properly. So, I have adjusted my goal to 900 miles. I have 24.8 miles to complete. Piece of cake! Between the 5K and helping my friend complete her 50 miles on her 50th birthday (I'll be running 5 miles with her), that will reduce the remaining miles to a mere 16.7. That's a piece of chocolate cake. Ha!

After my first marathon I got a bad case of the marathon blues. I have taken steps to avoid that this time! I am doing something that I have wanted to do for quite a while. I have signed up for a month's worth of personal training! How could I possibly get the marathon blues while being sore all the time? Seriously, though, I am excited. I have had one session and look forward to the rest. The gym is somewhere between 2 and 3 miles from my home. I am thinking of running to and from the training sessions. Now THAT will be a workout!

I have "cleaned up" this blog. I have spiffed it up in preparation to move forward with all things. December is a good time for cleaning, is it not? It is also a good time to reflect on oneself, which is exactly why I have made this post.

Nursing Accomplished Post-Marathon Toes,
Susan

6 comments:

Jenn said...

Sounds like a really great plan to end the year right. Congrats again!!

MarathonChris said...

A great plan. After a busy training season, it is nice to finally relax.

I will be there soon, my friend. I am about 40 miles from my 1000. I actually think I am going to make it....just under the wire :-)

Looking forward to the work out reports. Hope the toes feel better soon!

Annette said...

You are a smart lady to take care of your body... I bet next year you make that 1,000 miles plus some.
I noticed you are doing the Jingle Bell 5k in Hot Springs. Kim, Cheryl and I did it last year, it was a fun race although a tough course. They might have changed it for this year. Maybe I can talk Cheryl into it again this year. Kim will be home in Ohio or I know she would do it.

ShirleyPerly said...

Susan, I'm so proud of you!! The common sense to say 'no' to that mileage goal when you know you're hurting and need rest is something that many runners don't have. And to already have a post-marathon blues plan in place, esp. after a less-than-ideal race, is awesome!

Irish Blue said...

Wow, sounds like you are keeping busy post marathon. That should keep the blues away.

The personal training reward is a great idea.

Petraruns said...

A great plan and a great reward - I can't wait to see how it pans out for you. Also - well done for giving yourself a break on the Tinkoff 1000 - I think you've achieved a lot this year and you do need to give yourself some time off. Keep blogging though!