Sunday, May 09, 2010

A 'Speedy' Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day! I know this past year was harder than the few months leading up to my first Mother's Day last year, although Chasen disagrees. He somehow thinks pregnancy and birth and exhaustion are more difficult than actually taking care of a mobile child!

Mother's Day 2009 - Isaac was nearly 3 months old and I had not yet donated my hair.

Mother's Day 2010 - Isaac is nearly 15 months old and I am looking like June Cleaver!

It's not always easy to kiss a stoic boy in the wind - but I'll sure try. :)

Best. Picture. Ever! This is my life, peeps.

My family. Thanks to serendipitous arm placement, I look quite "hourglass" here. LOL

Father and son talk. Apparently, the art of smiling was not a topic.

What you talkin' 'bout, Daddy?

Here are my two best guys! They both treated me like the Queen Mother I am today. HAAA!

After church and some lovely gift giving, I headed to the Olive Branch City Park track for some Jeff Galloway speed work. I was to do 5 mile repeats with a 5-minute walk in between. What's more? I was to do the repeats, with walk breaks included, at 30 seconds per mile faster than race pace. Yikes! For me, that meant my stints of running had to be done at about a 10:30 pace. Whaaaa? That's fast for this gal, these days anyway. But I did it! I averaged 15 seconds per mile faster than I even wanted to.

I am starting to realize that this Galloway plan is by no means as easy as I thought it would be. Every run has a purpose, i.e. there are no junk miles! Well, the long run weekends seem easy by comparison - which is always something to look forward to! Next weekend I'll do a "regular" long run of 13 miles.

This Mother's Day I have much more respect for runner moms everywhere. The past year has been a challenge, and I am sure it's not over. Let's raise a glass to us!

3 comments:

Petraruns said...

Happy mother's day June! You look lovely as do your men..

As for Jeff Galloway I have read that - that there are no junk miles and that he is VERY efficient at making you work hard for every workout. I think you'll be impressed by the results though!

Jacky said...

Lovely pics Susan! You and your guys are a beautiful bunch!
Well... training for a marathon can't be easy, just having the word marathon there... but you'll do great anyway! Go Susan Go.. only 13 miles??? LOL... a regular run of 13 miles... geez... you're a champ!

ShirleyPerly said...

Glad you had a nice Mother's Day. You really look great in that red dress, BTW.

And way to go on your Galloway workouts. I've definitely been on a "no junk" type of training program since working with a Coach and think it's much better for me although not necessarily any easier.